Make sure to follow these guidelines when giving rides in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
If you're applying to become a driver in Toronto, check out the application steps.
Heads up: one year of driving history is required to drive in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area.
- Apply to drive
- Hub address and hours
- Get set to drive
- Setting up your vehicle
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Document renewals
- Moving to or from Toronto or the Greater Toronto Area as an existing Lyft driver
Need in-person help? Head to the Toronto Hub between these hours:
- Monday through Friday: 8 AM - 8 PM
- Saturday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Here's the address:
42 Hayden St.
Toronto, ON, M4Y 1V8
We ask that you park at the Green P garage located at 20 Charles Street East. We validate for 30 minutes of free parking.
PTC driver's license and HST Account Number
- PTC Driver's License: Lyft drivers in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area are required to obtain a Private Transportation Company (PTC) driver’s license. Lyft will apply for the license on behalf of each driver. Drivers who meet the City of Toronto’s requirements will be issued a PTC driver’s license and be approved to drive on Lyft’s platform. Your PTC driver’s license will be accessible in-app through the waybill.
- HST Business Number: Lyft drivers in Canada are required to register for, and remit, harmonized sales tax (HST). To learn how to register, click here, and to learn more about HST requirements, click here.
Drivers are required to display two Lyft emblems while in driver mode. Refer to the image above for where to place your Lyft emblems. If you drive in the City of Toronto, be sure to display your Lyft emblem on your passenger side rear window, as required by local regulations. Make sure to remove the emblem when you are not in driver mode.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblems shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, contact us. In the mean time, you may print a temporary emblem.
To drive with Lyft in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area, your vehicle must pass an annual inspection and receive a Safety Standards Certificate (SSC).
Complete the inspection at one of our preferred mechanic locations (listed below) or at a mechanic near you. Make sure the mechanic is licensed by the Ministry of Transportation and can issue an SSC.
You must upload a photo of your SSC to Lyft within 36 days of the inspection. If you already have an SSC, you can submit it as long as the inspection was completed within the past 36 days. Be sure to keep your SSC in your vehicle while driving with Lyft.
Preferred mechanics for vehicle inspections
Lyft drivers can receive a discounted rate on their SSC inspection at these locations:
($60 including taxes)
MF Auto Inc
9 Milvan Drive Unit 1 B (Plaza Latina), North York, ON M9L 1Y9
(647) 854-1224 or (416) 901-8551
($60 including taxes)
You are an approved driver, your ride is decked out with all the right things in all the right places, and you’re no stranger to the ins and outs of driving with Lyft.
Lyft is available at several airports in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area. Learn more here.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
Items to Keep in Your Vehicle
- Valid SSC inspection form
- PTC Driver’s License Number (available through in-app waybill)
- Be prepared in case you are stopped by law enforcement or a city official.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not wait in taxi lines.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
Lyft drivers in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area are required to have snow or all-weather tires on their vehicles from December 1 to April 30. Failure to have snow or all-weather tires may result in a fine.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents (license, registration, insurance, and SSC). Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
If you're already a driver in a different location, and you're moving to Toronto or the Greater Toronto Area, send us a message with the following info:
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- Photos of each of the documents listed below
Please note, vehicles in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area must be 7 years or newer.
Moving from Toronto or the Greater Toronto Area to a different Lyft region? Find your new region here to see what steps you'll need to take.
- Driver's license: must be Class G or higher and issued in Ontario
- Insurance: must match the vehicle on file
- Vehicle registration must match the vehicle on file
- Safety Standards Certificate (SSC): must match the vehicle on file and be no more than 36 days old. Keep a copy of your SSC in the vehicle while driving on the Lyft platform.
- Proof of work eligibility: must contain your name — can be any of the following (click the name for a sample image):