This page provides information about vehicle, driver, and document requirements, state regulations, insurance coverage, and city-specific requirements, needed to drive with Lyft in the state of Toronto.
To apply to drive in Toronto, submit an application online or in the Lyft Driver app –– download it from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play store. To be approved to drive, applicants must meet these requirements.
Heads up: one year of driving history is required to drive in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area.
- What you need to drive with Lyft in Toronto
- Toronto driver regulations
- Know your insurance
- In-person support (Lyft Hubs)
- Moving to or from Toronto
Drivers are required to maintain current documents. Failing to update a required document before the expiration date results in temporary deactivation.
Use your Lyft Driver app or Driver Dashboard to upload your documents.
Heads up: three years of driving history are required to drive in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area.
- 2013 or newer
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver's
- Winter tires (snow or all-weather tires)
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
- Not a taxi or stretch limousine
- Not titled as salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt or any other equivalent classification
Bikes and scooters stickers
Affix two “LOOK FOR bikes & scooters” stickers on both passenger windows. See example below:
See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride.
Lyft drivers in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area are required to have winter tires on their vehicles from December 1 through April 30th. Failure to have winter tires may result in a fine.
The easiest way to know a tire has been designed specifically for severe snow conditions is to look for the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol on the tire itself.
For more information about winter tires and winter driving safety, see the Ontario Ministry of Transport's winter driving website.
- Valid Ontario driver’s licence —Driver’s licence must be Class G or higher and issued in Ontario. Temporary licences are acceptable (example).
- 21 or older
- 3 years of driving history in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area
- Pass a driver screening, which reviews your driving history and criminal background check. Learn more about driver screenings.
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app. See phone software recommendations.
- Cameras: If you choose to equip your vehicle with a dashcam or other recording device, you are required to inform passengers that they may be recorded.
- Phone mounting: Drivers in Toronto are required to use a hands-free, mounted device at all times when available to give rides on the Lyft platform
Here's driver's licence example:
- Driver profile photo: Learn how to take the best photo
- Ontario Vehicle registration (example)
- Personal vehicle insurance - must match vehicle on file (example)
- Vehicle inspection
- PTC driver’s licence
- HST Account Number
- Proof of work eligibility
Here's a vehicle registration example:
Here's a personal insurance example:
To drive with Lyft in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area, your vehicle must pass an annual inspection and receive a Safety Standards Certificate (SSC).
Complete the inspection at one of our preferred mechanic locations (listed below) or at a mechanic near you. Make sure the mechanic is licensed by the Ministry of Transportation and can issue an SSC.
You must upload a photo of your SSC to Lyft within 36 days of the inspection. If you already have an SSC, you can submit it as long as the inspection was completed within the past 36 days. Be sure to keep your SSC in your vehicle while driving with Lyft.
Safety Standards Certificate (SSC): must match the vehicle on file and be no more than 36 days old. Keep a copy of your SSC in the vehicle while driving on the Lyft platform.
Lyft drivers receive a discounted rate of $80 + HST for vehicle inspections at all Canadian Tire locations.
($60 including taxes)
MF Auto Inc
9 Milvan Drive Unit 1 B (Plaza Latina), North York, ON M9L 1Y9
(647) 854-1224 or (416) 901-8551
($60 including taxes)
Lyft drivers in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area are required to obtain a Private Transportation Company (PTC) driver’s licence. Lyft will apply for the licence on behalf of each driver. Drivers who meet the City of Toronto’s requirements will be issued a PTC driver’s licence and be approved to drive on Lyft’s platform. Your PTC driver’s licence will be accessible in-app through the waybill.
Must contain your name — can be any of the following (click the name for a sample image):
Drivers are required to display two Lyft emblems while in driver mode. The Lyft emblem is Lyft’s official trade dress. It helps passengers and law enforcement identify your vehicle.
Refer to the image above for where to place your Lyft emblems. If you drive in the City of Toronto, be sure to display your Lyft emblem on your passenger side rear window, as required by local regulations. Make sure to remove the emblem when you are not in driver mode.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblems shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, contact us. In the mean time, you may print a temporary emblem.
Be sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Toronto, and keep an eye on your email for important updates from Lyft.
In Toronto, Lyft’s standard time limit for driver mode applies.
- Display all required emblems and placards
- Always have your driver’s licence and insurance document
- Follow all airport rules
- Be prepared in case you are stopped by law enforcement or a city official.
- Don't accept street hails
- Don't accept cash for rides
- Don't wait in taxi lines
- Valid SSC inspection form
- PTC Driver’s Licence Number (available through in-app waybill)
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
We're opening Lyft Hubs across the country to offer in-person support for drivers. Your local Hub is a one-stop shop for answers on everything from setting up direct deposit to discovering where you’ll get the most ride requests.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Toronto, send us a message with the following info:
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- Photos of your driver's licence, vehicle registration, personal insurance, and Safety Standards Certificate
Please note, vehicles in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area must be 7 years or newer.
Moving from Toronto or the Greater Toronto Area to a different Lyft region? Find your new region here to see what steps you'll need to take.