In some cities, we offer Average Hourly Guarantees. That means if you don’t earn the guaranteed amount during eligible hours on your own, we’ll cover the rest after commission*.
- Driver requirements
- Ride requirements
- Other conditions
- Guarantee zones
- Sample guarantee
If you meet the driver requirements below, look for your ride requirements in the 'Hourly Guarantees' section on the 'Dashboard' tab of the Driver Dashboard.
- Opt in
- You can opt in any time or date before a guaranteed hour begins, but you'll only qualify for hours that haven't occurred yet. We determine your eligibility for hours that occur after you opt in.
- Maintain a weekly 90% acceptance rate
- Fill each hour
- Spend 50 minutes of each hour in online mode (taking ride requests), and also meet ride requirements when completing rides
Ride requirements for guaranteed hours change by region and time. Use the 'Hourly Guarantees' section on the 'Dashboard' tab of the Driver Dashboard to see all ride requirement details.
The 'Hourly Guarantees' section shows your region's guarantee schedule, including dates, times, and guarantee amounts for different hours. This section also shows progress (specifically, eligible ride count and minutes in online mode) toward a guarantee hour.
A ride counts toward the hour it was requested in, not when it was completed. We count your time in online driving mode from the start of each hour (for example, 10 am to 10:59 am or 12 pm to 12:59 pm).
To customize the driving experience, Lyft has many driver features and ways to give rides. This means there are a few other Average Hourly Guarantee conditions to think about:
- Time in mentor mode or time with the destination filter on doesn’t count toward Average Hourly Guarantees
- Some regions have a weekly opt-in limit on how many drivers can opt in
- As Lyft expands into new cities and regions, we may change where to offer guarantee hours offers or which guarantee hour amounts we offer
- If you opt into an Average Hourly Guarantee late, you won't get paid for hours that you may have driven that were in the guarantee offer but already passed
Always check the Driver Dashboard to see guarantee hour offers available to you.
In some regions, Average Hourly Guarantees are limited to specific zones, or guarantee zones. As long as you're in the guarantee zone when accepting a ride, the ride will count toward you guaranteed hours, even if the ride's pickup location is outside of the guarantee zone.
Guarantee zones can be seen in the 'Hourly Guarantee' section of the 'Dashboard' tab.
Guaranteed amounts vary by hour and week. For instance, 12 pm-12:59 pm may be guaranteed at $20 while 4 pm-4:59 pm guaranteed at $25.
When a guaranteed hour ends, we begin calculating your eligible gross ride receipts. Eligible gross ride receipts are your pre-commission time and distance, Prime Time, and tips (tolls and the Service Fee aren’t included in this amount).
We update whether an hour qualified (and how it affects your future eligibility) at the end of that hour. For example, if you drove two hours at the $30/hour guarantee on a Wednesday, we update how these rides affect your eligibility when each hour ends. This may impact whether you're eligible for guaranteed hours on Thursday. This doesn't change when your weekly deposit process begins (Tuesday mornings in your local time zone).
We update your earnings at the end of each hour. You can see each hour's earnings in the 'Hourly Guarantees' section of the 'Dashboard' tab.
At the end of the week, we compare your hourly average to what the guaranteed rate is:
- If your average earnings for these hours is more than the guaranteed amount, great! You made more than the guaranteed amount, so we won't need to add more cash to your earnings.
- If your average earnings for these hours is less, we bonus you the rest after we take out Lyft’s commission. You'll see the bonus in that week's direct deposit (we begin processing weekly deposits on Tuesdays), which may take a few days to appear in your account depending on your bank.
Need help? Tap 'Call Me' to contact our driver support team.
John opts in to a $30 Average Hourly Guarantee and a $25 Average Hourly Guarantee.
If one guaranteed hour was 7 am-7:59 am that week, John could qualify by driving 50 minutes in that span.
However, if John was in driver mode between 7:30 am and 8:30 am, he would have only logged 30 minutes during the eligible hour, which ended at 7:59 am. Thus, he wouldn't meet the eligibility requirement for the hour of 7:00 am to 7:59 am.
Let’s say John drives in a city with guarantee zones. John begins a ride at 7:45 am inside a guarantee zone, but it ends at 8:05 am. This ride still counts toward the 7 am-7:59 am guaranteed hour because he was inside the guarantee zone when he accepted the ride.
John’s $30 Average Hourly Guarantee
At the end of week after a few more days of driving, John qualified for 10 guarantee hours at a $30/hour. His total gross eligible ride receipts for those hours came to $200.
- Guarantee: $30/hour * 10 hours = $300
- Earnings: $200
The difference between $300 (the guarantee) and $200 ( earnings) is $100. This is the amount we will bonus, after Lyft’s commission. So if John’s commission is 20%, we would take $20, and bonus the remaining $80.
John’s $25 Average Hourly Guarantee
John also qualified for 5 hours at the $25 Average Hourly Guarantee. His gross ride receipts for these hours came to $150.
- Guarantee: $25/hour * 5 hours = $125
- Earnings: $150
Because John’s earnings ($150) are higher than the guarantee ($125) John earned more than the guarantee (yay!) and wouldn’t receive an additional bonus.
*Average hourly guarantees are pre-commission. Any resulting bonuses are subject to Lyft’s commission. Power Driver Bonuses don’t apply to Average Hourly Guarantee bonuses. Terms apply and are subject to change.