Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Alabama, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
If you're applying to become a driver in Alabama, check out the application steps.
- Vehicle inspection requirements (Birmingham, Huntsville, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa)
- Setting up your vehicle
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Document renewals
- Moving to or from Alabama as an existing Lyft driver
Drivers in the cities listed below are required to have their vehicle inspected a certain number of days after becoming a driver, and then annually. Refer to the table below to see how many days after becoming a driver you have to get your inspection.
If your market is not listed here, you do not need to obtain a vehicle inspection.
|City||Time Limit||Type of Inspection||Inspection Form to Print|
|Birmingham||30 days||Licensed mechanic||Inspection form|
|Huntsville||30 days||ASE-certified mechanic||Inspection form|
|Mobile||Pre-approval||Licensed mechanic||Inspection form|
|Montgomery||15 days||Licensed mechanic||Inspection form|
|Tuscaloosa||30 days||Licensed mechanic||Inspection form|
Instructions for having your vehicle inspected:
- Print the form. Click the link for your city in the table above to print your inspection form.
- Visit a licensed mechanic. Bring the form to a licensed mechanic and have your vehicle inspected.
- Upload the form. Upload a photo of the completed form in the Dashboard.
Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. Refer to the image above for where to place your Lyft emblem.
If you've just been approved to drive, you should receive your emblem shortly. If you never received it, or need a new one, send us a message with your shipping address.
You are an approved driver, your ride is decked out with all the right things in all the right places, and you’re no stranger to the ins and outs of driving with Lyft.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not stop, park, load, or unload passengers in a travel lane or in an officially designated bus or taxi stop.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
Driver Mode Limits
Drivers may not drive more than 12 hours within a 24 hour period
Birmingham Business License
Any person conducting business within the City of Birmingham is required to obtain a business license from the Birmingham Finance Department. If you have any questions about this process, please contact the Birmingham Finance Department at 205-254-2198 or http://www.birminghamal.gov.
To contact the City of Montgomery's Risk Management Department, please call (334) 625-2298 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Montgomery Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
If you’re interested in providing wheelchair accessible rides in Montgomery, and have a vehicle which can accommodate wheelchairs, please let us know.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents (license, registration, insurance). Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Alabama, send us a message with the following info:
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your vehicle registration*
Please note, if you're moving to Birmingham, Mobile, or Huntsville, your vehicle must be from 2007 or newer. Depending on where you are moving, you may also be required to obtain a vehicle inspection.
*If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, you do not need to send it in again.
Moving from Alabama to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.