Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Minnesota, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
If you're a driver in Minneapolis or St. Paul, visit this page instead.
- Apply to drive
- Setting up your vehicle
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Document renewals
- Moving to or from Minnesota as an existing Lyft driver
Apply to Drive
If you're applying to become a driver in Minnesota, check out the application steps.
Drivers are encouraged to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. Refer to the image above for where to place your Lyft emblem.
If you've just been approved to drive, you should receive your emblem shortly. If you never received it, or need a new one, send us a message with your shipping address. In the meantime, you can print out a temporary emblem — make sure to print in color.
You are an approved driver, your ride is decked out with all the right things in all the right places, and you’re no stranger to the ins and outs of driving with Lyft.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not wait in taxi lines.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
- Your automobile insurance policy might not provide any coverage while you're logged in as a driver and are available to receive ride requests, or while engaged in a Lyft ride, depending on its terms.
- Using a vehicle with a lien against the vehicle to provide transportation network services may violate your contract with the lienholder.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents (license, registration, insurance). Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Minnesota, send us a message with the following info. If you're moving to Minneapolis or St. Paul, follow the steps here instead.
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your vehicle registration (Duluth only)*
If you are moving to Duluth, you must obtain an ASE vehicle inspection using this form, and your vehicle must be from 2007 or newer.
*If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, you do not need to send it in again.
Moving from Minnesota to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.