This page provides information about vehicle, driver, and document requirements, state regulations, insurance coverage, and city-specific requirements, needed to drive with Lyft in the state of South Carolina.
To apply to drive in South Carolina, submit an application online or in the Lyft Driver app –– download it from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play store. To be approved to drive, applicants must meet these requirements.
- What you need to drive with Lyft in South Carolina
- South Carolina driver regulations
- Know your insurance
- Moving to or from South Carolina
Drivers are required to maintain current documents. Failing to update a required document before the expiration date results in temporary deactivation.
Use your Lyft Driver app or Driver Dashboard to upload your documents.
- 2003 or newer
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver's
- Permanent license plate
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
- Not a taxi or stretch limousine
- Not titled as salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt or any other equivalent classification
See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride.
In select cities, you can rent a car through Express Drive with standard insurance included.
- Valid driver’s license — Temporary or out-of-state licenses are also acceptable
- 21 or older
- Pass a driver screening, which reviews your driving history and criminal background check. Learn more about driver screenings.
Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app. See phone software recommendations.
- Driver profile photo: Learn how to take the best photo
- Personal vehicle insurance
- South Carolina vehicle inspection
Within 30 days of becoming approved as a driver, follow these steps to have your vehicle inspected by a certified mechanic licensed in South Carolina:
- Print the form
- Bring the form to a licensed mechanic and have your vehicle inspected
- Upload a photo of the completed form in your Driver app or Driver Dashboard
Inspections are valid until the marked expiration date. If no expiration date is marked, Lyft requires a new inspection one year after the inspection date.
We have a partnership with Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube, and NTB. There will be no Lyft representatives present at these locations. To find a location near you, visit their store locator pages below:
Drivers in South Carolina are required to display their vehicle’s license plate number in a legible font on the front of their vehicles.
You can use this form to create a temporary printable copy of your license plate number to display in your vehicle. Please use this template to write in your vehicle’s license plate number. Print this template and display it on the front of your vehicle while you are picking up passengers.
A permanent placard will be sent to your shipping address with the current license plate on file and will arrive 1-2 weeks after being approved.
To change your address in the app: In your Lyft app, go to Dashboard, tap the left menu icon and go to Settings, then Shipping Address.
To update your license plate: Tap the menu icon in the top left, and select Vehicles & Docs. You can see your vehicle(s) and update your license plate if necessary.
Once you've updated your license plate and/or shipping address, or if you need a placard for an additional vehicle, reach out to our Support team.
Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. Check the image below for where to place your Lyft emblem. Be sure to display it correctly to avoid citations and fines.
The Lyft emblem and placard should be displayed in the lower corner of your windshield on the passenger side every time you enter driver mode. Make sure to remove the emblem and placard when you are not in driver mode.
If you've just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, place an order in the Vehicles tab of the Driver Dashboard.
Be sure to follow these rules when giving rides in South Carolina, and keep an eye on your email for important updates from Lyft.
In South Carolina, Lyft’s standard time limit for driver mode applies.
- Display all required emblems and placards
- Always have your driver’s license and insurance document
- Follow all airport rules
- Don't accept street hails
- Don't accept cash for rides
- Don't wait in taxi lines
- Do not stop, park, load, or unload passengers in a travel lane or in an officially designated bus or taxi stop.
Review Lyft's coverage here.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to South Carolina, send us a message with the following info:
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your South Carolina vehicle inspection
- A clear photo of your permanent license plate
If you plan to drive in North Carolina, you’ll need to upload your vehicle registration. See our North Carolina article to read more about rules and regulations you'll need to follow while driving there.
Moving from South Carolina to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.