If you or a member of your group causes physical or cosmetic damage to the interior or exterior of your driver's car, we'll assess a damage fee and charge your default payment method. View the Terms of Service to learn more.
Drivers use their personal vehicles to drive other Lyft passengers as well as their family and friends. It's important drivers keep their car in great condition.
How will I be notified about damage fees?
Our team will send an email if you're charged a damage fee. This email will show which ride the fee is for and also photos of the damage.
You'll get an updated receipt after the damage fee has been charged. You can also check out details in the 'Ride history' tab of the Lyft app. Any damage fees incurred will be shown under that ride.
If you believe we've missed any information regarding your case, reply directly to our follow-up email.
Types of damage charges
Damage charges vary based on how severe the damage is. Damage charges help the driver pay to have their car cleaned or repaired.
- No damage: $0
- Items easily picked up or not seen, such as water bottles, trash, and smells
- Small impact: $20
- Damage that may need a vacuum or time to clean, such as mud and sand
- Moderate exterior mess: $30
- Damage only on the outside of the car, such as biowaste
- Moderate interior mess: $80
- Damage within the car, such as major liquid spills
- Major damage: $150
- Can include both interior and exterior of the vehicle, or extreme damage to the interior of the vehicle (ex. burns to the upholstery)