This page provides information about vehicle, driver, and document requirements, state regulations, insurance coverage, and city-specific requirements, needed to drive with Lyft in the state of New Mexico.
To apply to drive in New Mexico, submit an application online or in the Lyft Driver app –– download it from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play store. To be approved to drive, applicants must meet these requirements.
- What you need to drive with Lyft in New Mexico
- New Mexico driver regulations
- Know your insurance
- Moving to or from New Mexico
Drivers are required to maintain current documents. Failing to update a required document before the expiration date results in temporary deactivation.
Use your Lyft Driver app or Driver Dashboard to upload your documents.
- 2006 or newer
- Las Cruces
- 2004 or newer
- All other cities
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver's
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
- Not a taxi or stretch limousine
- Not titled as salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt or any other equivalent classification
See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride.
In select cities, you can rent a car through Express Drive with standard insurance included.
- Valid driver’s license — Temporary or out-of-state licenses are also acceptable
- 25 or older
- Pass a driver screening, which reviews your driving history and criminal background check. Learn more about driver screenings.
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app. See phone software recommendations.
- Driver profile photo: Learn how to take the best photo
- Vehicle registration
- Personal vehicle insurance
- ASE vehicle inspection
If you haven't already, upload a photo of your ASE vehicle inspection in the Dashboard.
If you're already an approved rideshare driver with an ASE inspection form, you can upload a copy of that form in the Dashboard (you do not need a second inspection).
Inspections are valid until the marked expiration date. If no expiration date is marked, Lyft requires a new inspection one year after the inspection date.
Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. The Lyft emblem is Lyft’s official trade dress. It helps passengers and law enforcement identify your vehicle.
The Lyft emblem should be displayed in the lower corner of your windshield on the passenger side every time you enter driver mode. Make sure to remove the emblem when you are not in driver mode.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, order one in your Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
Be sure to follow these rules when giving rides in New Mexico, and keep an eye on your email for important updates from Lyft.
Lyft and New Mexico regulations state that drivers may not spend more than 12 hours in driver mode within a 24-hour period. After that, drivers must take a break for a minimum of 6 consecutive hours.
- Display all required emblems and placards
- Always have your driver’s license and insurance document
- Follow all airport rules
- Don't accept street hails
- Don't accept cash for rides
- Don't wait in taxi lines
Review Lyft's coverage here.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to New Mexico, send us a message with the following info:
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your vehicle registration*
- A clear photo of your ASE vehicle inspection (more information above)
*If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, you do not need to send it in again.
Moving from New Mexico to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.