Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Illinois, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
If you're a driver in Chicago, visit this page instead.
- Apply to drive
- Setting up your vehicle
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Driver mode limits
- Document renewals
- Moving to or from Illinois as an existing Lyft driver
Apply to Drive
If you're applying to become a driver in Illinois, check out the application steps.
Drivers are encouraged to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. Refer to the image above for where to place your Lyft emblem.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, place an order in your Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
You are an approved driver, your ride is decked out with all the right things in all the right places, and you’re no stranger to the ins and outs of driving with Lyft.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Your automobile insurance policy might not provide any coverage while you're logged in as a driver and are available to receive ride requests, or while engaged in a Lyft ride, depending on its terms.
- Using a vehicle with a lien against the vehicle to provide transportation network services may violate your contract with the lienholder.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not stop, park, load, or unload passengers in a travel lane or in an officially designated bus or taxi stop.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
In addition to Lyft's mandatory break requirement, Chicago and Rockford regulations state that you cannot be in driver mode for more than 12 hours within a calendar day. After spending 12 consecutive hours in driver mode, you must take a break for a minimum of 8 consecutive hours.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents (license, registration, insurance). Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Illinois, send us a message with the following info. If you're moving to Chicago, follow the steps here instead.
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your vehicle registration*
If you are moving to Bloomington, you will need a vehicle inspection, and your vehicle must be from 2008 or newer (more info below).
*If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, you do not need to send it in again.
Moving from Illinois to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.