There are several ways to request a Lyft ride:
Heads up: Lyft is rolling out a new version of the app over the next few months. If you have this new version, be sure to add your destination before your pick-up location when requesting rides.
To request a Lyft ride, download Lyft and create an account. Then:
- Open the Lyft app
- Select your ride mode
- Tap 'Set pickup.' Set your pickup location by dropping a pin on the map or entering in an address or business name.
- Tap 'Set destination' to confirm where you’re going. If you want to wait and tell your driver in person, tap 'Skip.' Heads up: For Shared rides, your destination is required prior to requesting a ride.
- Tap 'Request Lyft' to request a ride. That’s it!
You can also change your payment method before requesting a ride by tapping the payment method shown on the request screen.
After confirming your pickup and dropoff locations but before selecting 'Request Lyft,' you'll see the default payment method for the ride under the ride type and fare estimate. If you select the default payment method, you'll be able to change or add a payment method.
In select cities, you’ll see the price of your ride after entering your destination and before tapping 'Request.' Learn more about how to estimate a Lyft ride's cost.
If you can't use the Lyft app but have a Lyft account, request a ride using a browser:
- Go to http://ride.lyft.com
- Enter the phone number associated with your Lyft account
- We’ll send you a text with a verification code. Enter the code to log in.
- Request a ride the same way you would on the app. Heads up: Apple Pay can't be used when requesting a ride on a browser.
Browser ride tips
- At this time, you can only request standard Lyft or XL using a browser. We’re working to bring Shared and Lux to browsers soon!
- If you don’t know your pickup address, enable your location in the browser's settings and make sure the pin is displayed in the right spot. If the pin’s placement is incorrect, enter a nearby address or venue and meet your driver there.
- If you request on a desktop or tablet, you can see your driver’s progress in the browser or app. However, keep an eye on your phone because we'll text you important ride updates.
- If you request a Lyft on your desktop and then leave the house with only your smartphone, you'll still be able to see the request in the app.
- If you request a Shared from your phone, you can check the driver’s location on a browser, but the ride will appear as a standard Lyft and only show part of the route. Feel free to bookmark http://ride.lyft.com on your browser!
To request a ride with Siri, you need:
- iOS 10 or higher
- The most recent version of the Lyft app
- Siri turned on
To request a ride with Siri:
- Tell Siri: "Book a Lyft"
- Confirm your pickup location and destination
- If Siri asks you to confirm, say "Yes" or tap 'Request.'
- Siri will show you the ride as it arrives. After your ride is complete, we’ll prompt you to rate your driver and pay in the app.
To request a ride with Apple Maps, you need:
- iOS 10 or higher
- Most updated version of Lyft app
To request a ride with Apple Maps:
- Open Apple Maps
- Enter your destination location
- Tap 'Directions.' The ride transportation menu will then appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the 'Ride' icon then tap the Lyft app. Heads up: The Lyft app may prompt you to enable permissions.
- Tap 'Book' next to the Lyft ride type you want. You’ll see your location and estimated wait time on the map. You can change your pickup location by moving the map around.
- When you’re ready, tap 'Request' at the bottom and your Lyft will be on its way
- After your ride is complete, we’ll prompt you to rate your driver and pay in the app. That’s it!