Giving a Lyft ride is easy! Follow the instructions for standard Lyft, Lyft Plus, Premier, Lux, and Lux SUV below.
Heads up: you can see a ride walkthrough in the app. Tap your photo in the top left, then ‘Help,’ then ‘Ride walkthrough’ to see the tutorial.
Before you start, open the Lyft Driver app and tap ‘Go Online.’ This lets you receive ride requests. To see what this looks like in the app, skip to How rides appear in the app.
Once you’re online, follow these steps:
- When you get a ride request, you’ll see a notification. Tap anywhere to accept.
- Tap the arrow next to the pickup location
- Select ‘Tap to arrive’ when you’re at the pickup location. Tap ‘Confirm arrival’ to send the rider a text (if we haven’t already).
- Tap ‘Pick up (passenger’s name)’ when the rider gets in to start the ride
- Tap ‘Navigate’ to begin navigation, then drive the rider to their destination
- Tap ‘Tap to drop off’ when you arrive at the dropoff location, then tap ‘Confirm drop off’ to end the ride
- Tap the star icon to rate the passenger manually, or let the timer finish to auto-rate the passenger 5 stars. That’s it!
Heads up: Passengers can tip either in the app or with cash, but don’t accept money for ride fare. Passengers should use the app to pay for rides.
There’s a few more things about giving rides. Read below to learn about cancellations, no-shows, time limits, and other info.
- You have 15 seconds to accept a ride. If you don’t accept in this time, we’ll offer the ride to another driver.
- Change your navigation preferences to automatically switch between driving mode and the map. Read How to change navigation settings for more.
- If you don’t want to wait longer for your passenger, tap ‘No-show.’ You can choose whether to charge the passenger a no-show fee.
- Pro-tip: Line passengers have 60 seconds to show, but all other ride types, including scheduled rides, have 5 minutes.
- Pro-tip: Always ask the rider’s name to verify it’s their ride when they get in your vehicle
- If the rider didn’t provide a dropoff location when requesting the ride, enter one before leaving.
- Don’t type addresses while driving.
- Some riders have preferred routes. Feel free to let them call the shots!
- Tapping cancel after ‘Tap to drop off’ keeps you in the ride. Tapping ‘Confirm drop off’ ends the ride.
- Ratings with 3 stars or below mean you won’t be matched with this passenger again. Passengers don’t see passenger feedback, only Lyft does.
- If you see kilometers instead of miles, it's likely you need to update your device's country and language settings to the same region you're driving in. Use US English on your device to see distances as miles.
Use the screenshots below to see what rides look like in Lyft Driver.
Once you’re online, you’re able to receive ride requests.
Once you receive a request, you’ll see a notification. Tap anywhere to accept.
Tapping the top-right arrow next to the pickup location will begin navigation to Stephanie’s address.
Tap ‘Confirm arrival,’ then we’ll send a text to the rider to let them know you’ve arrived.
When the passenger gets in your car and you’ve confirmed it’s the right person, tap ‘Pick up (passenger’s name)' to start the ride. If the passenger’s name is Stephanie, this button would say ‘Pick up Stephanie’ for example.
Drive to the rider’s destination and tap ‘Tap to drop off’ when you arrive.
Tap ‘Confirm drop off’ to end the ride.