The rental period length is flexible with no long-term commitment. Insurance and maintenance are always included in the rental cost.
Prices and program details vary by city and rental car provider, so you’ll only be able to view those details once you begin the application process. Sign up here or check out the guide below to learn more.
Heads up: Vehicles are reserved on a first come, first serve basis. Due to the popularity of the program, there may be a slight delay until there is a vehicle available. We recommend checking the Driver Dashboard often, as any available appointments will be listed there.
To become an Express Driver:
- Apply to drive at lyft.com/expressdrive if the Express Drive program is available in your city
- If you're already an approved driver, visit the 'Vehicles' tab of your Driver Dashboard, then tap the 'Rent a Vehicle' button to get started
- You must be 25+ years old to rent a vehicle
- You must meet Lyft's driver requirements
- After you're approved to drive, you can schedule a vehicle pickup
- Once you provide a refundable deposit, you'll be able to pick up the vehicle and get on the road
Note: Express Drive rentals cannot be used for any other 'for-hire' service, including (but not limited to) Postmates, Shipt, and Uber. Rental vehicles must be rented through the Express Drive program to be approved for use on the Lyft platform.
You can still drive with your own car if you also use a rental car. Car switching allows you to switch between multiple Lyft-approved vehicles.
You'll only be eligible for Ride Challenges if you started renting after September 9, 2019. Any rides you give with your personal car still count towards reward bonuses and ride requirements.
Note: Rental vehicles may only be driven out of state for official Lyft ride use, not for personal use.
Express Drive is available in these cities:
- Atlanta, GA
- Austin, TX
- Charlotte, NC
- Dallas, TX
- Denver, CO
- Detroit, MI
- Fort Worth, TX
- Houston, TX
- Los Angeles, CA
- Virginia Beach / Hampton Roads / Norfolk, VA
- Oakland, CA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Phoenix, AZ
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Portland, OR
- Providence, RI
- Sacramento, CA
- San Antonio, TX
- San Diego, CA
- San Francisco, CA
- Seattle, WA
- Washington, D.C.