Don't own a car? No problem! Lyft's Express Drive program helps you rent a car so you can start driving in select cities. The rental period length is flexible with no long-term commitment. Insurance and maintenance are always included in the rental cost.
Prices and program details vary by city and rental car provider, so you’ll only be able to view those details once you begin the application process. Sign up here or check out the guide below to learn more.
- Become an Express Driver
- Express Drive cities
- Rental car personal use
- Switch personal and rental cars
To become an Express Driver:
- Apply to drive at lyft.com/expressdrive if the Express Drive program is available in your city. If you’re already an approved driver, visit the ‘Vehicles’ tab of your Driver Dashboard. Tap the ‘Rent a Vehicle’ button to get started with the Express Drive program.
- You must be 25+ years old to rent a vehicle through Hertz (at participating locations), and 21+ years old to rent a vehicle through Flexdrive (only available in select markets).
- You must meet Lyft’s driver requirements.
- You must provide a refundable deposit to begin the Express Drive program. Learn more.
- After you’re approved to drive, you can schedule a vehicle pickup and get started driving with Lyft.
Express Drive is available in the following cities:
Hertz program (must be 25+ years old)
Atlanta | Baltimore | Boston | Chicago | Dallas/Fort Worth | Denver | Las Vegas | Los Angeles Miami | Nashville | New Orleans | Orange County | Orlando | Phoenix | Pittsburgh | Portland Sacramento | Salt Lake City | San Diego | San Francisco | San Jose | Seattle | Tampa Bay Washington, D.C.
Flexdrive program (must be 21+ years old)
Atlanta | Austin | Detroit | Houston | Los Angeles
Philadelphia | San Francisco | Washington, D.C.
Express Drive comes with unlimited miles, so you can earn with Lyft and drive for personal use.
Note: Rental vehicles may only be driven out of state for official Lyft ride use, not for personal use.
You can still drive with your own car if you also use a rental car. Car switching allows you to switch between multiple Lyft-approved vehicles. You can use both cars, though if you're an active Express Drive renter, you will not be eligible for Power Driver Bonus and Express Pay regardless of which vehicle you use for Lyft approved rides. If you're an active renter, all rides given with your personal vehicle will still count towards your Rental Rewards bonus and 20 Ride Requirement.