Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Texas, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
- Apply to drive
- Setting up your vehicle
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Document renewals
- Moving to or from Texas as an existing Lyft driver
Apply to Drive
If you're applying to become a driver in Texas, check out the application steps.
Drivers are encouraged to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. Refer to the image above for where to place your Lyft emblem.
If you've just been approved to drive, you should receive your emblem shortly. If you never received it, or need a new one, send us a message with your shipping address. In the meantime, you can print out a temporary emblem — make sure to print in color.
You are an approved driver, your ride is decked out with all the right things in all the right places, and you’re no stranger to the ins and outs of driving with Lyft.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not wait in taxi lines.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
Phone use while driving
- Under Texas law, texting while driving is now a misdemeanor.
- This law does NOT prohibit you from using your phone as a Lyft driver.
- The law includes an exception that allows Lyft or other TNC drivers to use their phones for work, so long as they are permanently or temporarily mounted on their vehicles.
- Under the law, all drivers may still use their phones to navigate, to report illegal activity, or in an emergency.
- Lyft drivers should ensure that their phones are mounted while driving on the platform.
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
To see city-specific resources for wheelchair accessible vehicles, click here.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents (license, registration, insurance). Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Texas, send us a message with the following info:
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your Texas vehicle registration sticker (sample image below)
Moving from Texas to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.