This page provides information about vehicle, driver, and document requirements, state regulations, insurance coverage, and city-specific requirements, needed to drive with Lyft in the state of North Carolina.
To apply to drive in North Carolina, submit an application online or in the Lyft Driver app –– download it from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play store. To be approved to drive, applicants must meet these requirements.
- What you need to drive with Lyft in North Carolina
- North Carolina driver regulations
- Know your insurance
- Moving to or from North Carolina
Drivers are required to maintain current documents. Failing to update a required document before the expiration date results in temporary deactivation.
Use your Lyft Driver app or Driver Dashboard to upload your documents.
- 2005 or newer
- Outer Banks
- 2003 or newer
- All other cities
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver's
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
- Not a taxi or stretch limousine
- Not titled as salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt or any other equivalent classification
See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride.
In select cities, you can rent a car through Express Drive with standard insurance included.
- Valid driver’s license — Temporary or out-of-state licenses are also acceptable
- 21 or older
- Pass a driver screening, which reviews your driving history and criminal background check. Learn more about driver screenings.
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app. See phone software recommendations.
- Driver profile photo: Learn how to take the best photo
- Vehicle registration
- Personal vehicle insurance
Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. The Lyft emblem is Lyft’s official trade dress. It helps passengers and law enforcement identify your vehicle.
The Lyft emblem should be displayed in the lower corner of your windshield on the passenger side every time you enter driver mode. Make sure to remove the emblem when you are not in driver mode.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, order one in your Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
Be sure to follow these rules when giving rides in North Carolina, and keep an eye on your email for important updates from Lyft.
In North Carolina, Lyft’s standard time limit for driver mode applies.
Todos los conductores de Carolina del Norte deben mandar a inspeccionar sus vehículos anualmente para cumplir con los requisitos de seguridad del estado. Si tu auto tiene placas de Carolina del Norte, no se requiere hacer ninguna otra acción. Los vehículos que vienen de otro estado deben someterse a una inspección en instalaciones autorizadas por el Departamento de Transporte de Carolina del Norte.
- Display all required emblems and placards
- Always have your driver’s license and insurance document
- Follow all airport rules
- Don't accept street hails
- Don't accept cash for rides
- Don't wait in taxi lines
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- Consulta tu seguro en la app: “Configuración > Auto > Seguro de Lyft”
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to North Carolina, send us a message with the following info:
- La fecha de tu mudanza
- Tu nueva dirección postal
- Una imagen clara del registro del vehículo*
*Si ya cargaste el registro de tu vehículo cuando te hiciste conductor, no tienes que volver a hacerlo.
Moving from North Carolina to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.