This page provides information about vehicle, driver, and document requirements, state regulations, insurance coverage, and city-specific requirements, needed to drive with Lyft in the state of South Dakota.
To apply to drive in South Dakota, submit an application online or in the Lyft Driver app –– download it from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play store. To be approved to drive, applicants must meet these requirements.
- What you need to drive with Lyft in South Dakota
- South Dakota driver regulations
- Know your insurance
- Moving to or from South Dakota
Drivers are required to maintain current documents. Failing to update a required document before the expiration date results in temporary deactivation.
Use your Lyft Driver app or Driver Dashboard to upload your documents.
- 2009 or newer
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver's
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
- Not a taxi or stretch limousine
- Not titled as salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt or any other equivalent classification
See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride.
In select cities, you can rent a car through Express Drive with standard insurance included.
- Valid driver’s license — Temporary or out-of-state licenses are also acceptable
- 21 or older
- Pass a driver screening, which reviews your driving history and criminal background check. Learn more about driver screenings.
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app. See phone software recommendations.
- Driver profile photo: Learn how to take the best photo
- Vehicle registration
- Personal vehicle insurance
- Business License - Vermillion
Si planeas conducir en la Ciudad de Vermillion, solicita una licencia de actividad comercial de Vermillion. Una vez recibida, muestra la copia de la licencia de actividad comercial en tu vehículo y tenla disponible para su inspección si la solicitan.
Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. The Lyft emblem is Lyft’s official trade dress. It helps passengers and law enforcement identify your vehicle.
The Lyft emblem should be displayed in the lower corner of your windshield on the passenger side every time you enter driver mode. Make sure to remove the emblem when you are not in driver mode.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, order one in your Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
Be sure to follow these rules when giving rides in South Dakota, and keep an eye on your email for important updates from Lyft.
In South Dakota, Lyft’s standard time limit for driver mode applies.
- Display all required emblems and placards
- Always have your driver’s license and insurance document
- Follow all airport rules
- Don't accept street hails
- Don't accept cash for rides
- Don't wait in taxi lines
- Information about Lyft's insurance policy, including the types and limits of coverage, is available here.
- Consulta tu seguro en la app: “Configuración > Auto > Seguro de Lyft”
- Dependiendo de sus condiciones, es posible que tu póliza de seguro de vehículo personal no te proporcione cobertura cuando estés conectado a la red digital de Lyft.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to South Dakota, send us a message with the following info:
- La fecha de tu mudanza
- Tu nueva dirección postal
- Una imagen clara del registro de tu vehículo*
Nota: Para operar en Dakota del Sur, los vehículos tienen que ser del año 2009 o más recientes.
* Si ya tuviste que cargar el registro de tu vehículo cuando te hiciste conductor, no tienes que volver a hacerlo.
Moving from South Dakota to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.