Louisiana Driver Information
This page provides information about vehicle, driver, and document requirements, state regulations, insurance coverage, and city-specific requirements, needed to drive with Lyft in the state of Louisiana.
To apply to drive in Louisiana, submit an application online or in the Lyft Driver app –– download it from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play store.
What you need to drive with Lyft in Louisiana
Drivers are required to maintain current documents. Failing to update a required document before the expiration date results in temporary deactivation.
Use your Lyft Driver app or Driver Dashboard to upload your documents. To add documents in the app, tap 'Account' in the main menu, then 'Documents.
Different regions in this state have specific vehicle age requirements. Click here to see if your vehicle qualifies. All vehicles must meet the following criteria:
- 2012 or newer
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver's
- Not a taxi, stretch limousine, or non-Express Drive rental vehicle
- Not titled as salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt or any other equivalent classification
See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride.
In select cities, you can rent a car through Express Drive with standard insurance included. Rental vehicles must be rented through the Express Drive program to be approved for use on the Lyft platform.
- Valid driver’s license — Temporary or out-of-state licenses are also acceptable.
- You must be 25 years or older to drive.
- Pass a driver screening, which reviews your driving history and criminal background check. Learn more about driver screenings.
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app. See phone software recommendations.
- Driver profile photo: Learn how to take the best photo
- Vehicle registration
- Personal vehicle insurance
Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. The Lyft emblem is Lyft’s official trade dress. It helps passengers and law enforcement identify your vehicle.
The Lyft emblem should be displayed in the lower corner of your windshield on the passenger side every time you enter driver mode. Make sure to remove the emblem when you are not in driver mode.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, order one in your Lyft Driver app or Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
Louisiana driver regulations
Be sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Louisiana, and keep an eye on your email for important updates from Lyft.
Hourly driver mode limits
In Louisiana, Lyft's standard time limit for driver mode applies.
- Display all required emblems and placards
- Always have your driver’s license and insurance document
- Don't accept street hails
- Don't accept cash for rides
- Don't wait in taxi lines
Know your insurance
Review Lyft's coverage here.
Moving to or from Louisiana
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Louisiana, send us a message with the following info. If you're moving to New Orleans, follow the steps here instead.
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your personal vehicle insurance
- A clear photo of your registration*
* If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, you do not need to send it in again.
If you're moving from Louisiana to a different state, find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.