Each calendar quarter, Lyft will make a healthcare subsidy available to drivers in California. Drivers must average at least 15 hours booked time per week in the quarter, plus have a qualifying health plan.
Healthcare subsidy amount
Every calendar quarter, drivers who average between 15 and 25 hours per week of booked time (for rides that start in California) will get 50% of the average Affordable Care Act (ACA) contribution for each month in that quarter. Drivers who average 25+ hours per week of booked time will get 100% of the average ACA contribution for each month in the quarter. To get your weekly average, booked hours are added over the quarter and divided by the number of weeks.
Calendar quarters are as follows:
- January 1 – March 31
- April 1 – June 30
- July 1 – September 30
- October 1 – December 31
The subsidy is based on the average statewide monthly premium for the bronze health insurance plan as published by Covered California, and is subject to change each year. The average ACA contribution is 82% of the average monthly Covered California premium cost.
Proof of qualifying health insurance
Your proof of enrollment must show that:
- You are the subscriber of the plan
- The plan is not sponsored by an employer, and isn’t Medicare, Medicaid, or Medi-Cal. See a list of ineligible plans below.
- Your plan must qualify as providing minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act. Visit Covered California for examples of health plans that qualify under the Affordable Care Act.
- The plan is active during the quarter
If your proof of enrollment is rejected and you feel it was rejected in error, please contact us.
Ineligible health plans include the following:
- LA Care
- Promise Health Plan
- CenCal Health
- Veteran Affairs (VA)
- Inland Empire Health Plan (IEHP)
- MultiPlan Limited Benefit Plan
- Other forms of Medicare and Medicaid
Proof of enrollment
Drivers need to submit one of the following:
- A screenshot of your proof of enrollment from Covered California.
- A picture of your current health insurance card. It must clearly show that you are the subscriber and the name of the health plan.
To access the Dashboard:
- Log in to the Covered California website.
- At the bottom of consumer's Home page, tap 'View Enrollment Dashboard' under the 'Manage My Application' section.
- Take a screenshot of the dashboard. Be sure it includes your name, the coverage status, and the health plan.
- After April 5, you can also submit the Covered California Proof of Coverage document (you won't be able to submit the PDF, so please take a screenshot).
Upload your proof of enrollment by tapping 'Account' then ‘Documents’ in the main menu. You must submit within 15 days of the end of each quarter to be eligible to receive the subsidy.
Eligible hour criteria
Every two weeks you will receive an email that tracks the booked hours you have accumulated for that biweekly period and the quarter to date. This will be the same email that contains your guaranteed earnings information.
At the end of the quarter, you’ll receive a healthcare subsidy if you have met the booked time requirements and your proof of enrollment has been approved. Drivers who average between 15 and 25 hours per week of booked time (for rides that start in California) will get 50% of the average ACA contribution for each month in the quarter. Drivers who average 25+ hours per week of booked time will get 100% of the average ACA contribution for each month in the quarter.
The healthcare subsidy will be paid out as a bonus in your account within 15 days of submission of proof of enrollment at the end of the quarter. Once your healthcare subsidy is deposited in your account, you will be able to access those funds as you would any other earnings – via Express Pay, Lyft Direct, or direct deposit.
How do we use your information?
We’ll use your information to confirm that you are actively enrolled in a qualifying health insurance program in order to ensure your eligibility to receive a healthcare subsidy. For more information about how we handle and safeguard your data, visit lyft.com/privacy.