Giving airport rides is a great way to maximize your driver earnings while helping passengers get to and from the terminal on time.
If you’re a passenger, check out this page instead.
Ensure a Safe, Smooth Ride
- Airport Education: Before giving an airport ride, be sure to complete the airport lesson in your Dashboard, found in the Tutorials tab.
- Lyft Emblem(s): Keep your Lyft emblem(s) visible at all times while on airport property. If you are at the airport and are not giving a Lyft ride, remove your Lyft emblem(s).
- Airport Placard: An airport placard is only required at LAX, SFO, OAK, ORD, MDW, and ATL airports. If you need a new airport placard, send us a message.
- Local Regulations: Review your city’s specific rules and regulations. At certain airports, including SJC, ORD, MDW, BOS, and DEN, you may not enter airport property without additional documents. For regulations specific to your airport, click the links below.
- Waybill: The waybill allows law enforcement officials to see information about your current or most recent ride.
To access your waybill, follow these steps:
- Go to your Dashboard*.
- Tap Waybill in the left side menu.
*Access your Dashboard either through the left panel menu in the Lyft app, or by going to lyft.com/drive in a web browser.
- Vehicle Information: Passengers can see your driver photo, car make, model, color, and license plate in their app. Ensure that these are all accurate so passengers can easily spot you.
- To update your license plate, open your Lyft app, tap Dashboard, tap the menu icon in the top left, and select Vehicles & Docs. You can see your vehicle(s) and update your license plate if necessary.
- If any of your other vehicle info is incorrect, send us a message.
- Airport Requests: At select airports, you will only receive an airport request if you are waiting in a designated staging area near or at the airport. You will be able to see your place in the queue in the app. To find out if you airport uses this feature, navigate to your local airport page.
- Airport Pickups/Drop-offs: At larger airports, passengers select the door of the terminal where they’d like to be picked up. This will automatically move their pin to an approved pickup location. If your passenger is having trouble finding you or the pickup area, ask them to go exactly where the pin has been placed. Keep in mind, you may have to pick up on a certain level depending on your local airport’s rules.
- Airport Demand: If your local airport has a designated staging area, you will be able to view the demand at the airport through your app before heading there. This will allow to decide on whether it’s a good time of the day to give airport rides.
Tips and Best Practices
Create a Great Passenger Experience
- Clear out your trunk to make room for luggage.
- Assist passengers with their luggage.
- Have a phone charger readily available.
- Use a navigation app to ensure the quickest route.
- Confirm the passenger’s terminal before dropping off.
- If your passenger is a tourist, share some recommendations for some fun local activities they can do during their visit.