In most regions, both the referring driver and the referred applicant can earn a bonus by meeting specified ride requirements.
- Referring driver requirements
- Referred applicant requirements
- Bonus amounts and payment
- Earnings Guarantees for referred applicants
- Additional terms
To be eligible for a referral bonus, referring drivers must:
- Be an existing Lyft driver in good standing when referred applicant qualifies
- Share their driver referral code with the referred applicant
Bonus amounts and ride requirements may change based on the referring driver, the referred applicant, and the region of the referred applicant. Requirements in a city or region may be different for drivers or applicants in the same area.
Referring drivers can view the bonus requirements for applicants they refer in their market through the Driver Dashboard or app.
Referred applicants may receive a communication from a referring driver regarding bonus requirements. Please note that Lyft can’t control the final content of these communications and can’t be held liable for any inaccuracies that they may contain.
Once a referred applicant has started their application, Lyft will email a confirmation to both the referring driver and referred applicant. The confirmation email will contain relevant bonus amounts, ride requirements, and time limits. Please contact us for details about your application.
To be eligible for an available referral promotion, referred applicants must:
- Start a driver application in the app or at Drive with Lyft, then agree to the Lyft terms and choose 'Become a Driver.' Bonus amounts and requirements may change until this step is done.
- Enter the referring driver’s referral code in the ‘Promo/Referral code’ field on the first step of the application
- If you follow a referral link from your referring driver, the code should be automatically entered
- If you don't enter a code when starting your application, you won’t be eligible for this referral promotion
- Be approved to drive within 30 days of starting an application
- Complete the specified number of rides in the required timeframe from being approved to drive. No more than two rides with the same passenger count toward ride requirements.
- Participation in this promotion is subject to Lyft’s Terms of Service and Lyft’s Referral Program Rules
- Driver eligibility and approval is determined at the sole discretion of Lyft and isn't guaranteed
- The duration of the application review process may vary
- This promotion runs for a limited time only. Terms and bonus amounts (if any) are subject to change
- Referral bonus promotions cannot be combined with Earnings Guarantee promos or new driver sign-on promos
- The bonus amount (if any) may vary based on the referring driver and the region of the referred applicant. There's no guarantee that all referring drivers or referred applicants in the same region will receive the same bonus amounts or ride requirements
- If a referred applicant has an existing application, they’re only eligible for the referral amount, if any, associated with that original application. They aren’t eligible for any other referral amount. This prior referral promotion may have expired, in which case the applicant won’t be eligible for a referral bonus
- Applicants who select an Express Drive rental vehicle aren’t eligible for a referral bonus. The referring driver may still earn a one-sided referral bonus if the applicant meets the bonus requirements
- We may share information concerning a referred applicant’s eligibility, progress, or qualification for a referral bonus with the referring driver
- Drivers cannot earn referral bonuses for referring themselves
Bonus amounts depend on the referred applicant's region, which is selected when a referred applicant begins an application. The referred applicant's city also determines eligibility for both the referring driver and referred applicant.
Depending on the promotion, bonus payments are added to payouts as either a single amount, on a per-ride basis, or as an Earnings Guarantee.
For single-amount payments, both the referred applicant and referring driver are notified by email after the referred applicant has completed the requirements. Please allow 1-2 pay cycles for the full bonus amount to appear in your payout.
For per-ride payments, bonus amounts are added to both the referred applicant and referring driver's payout with each ride the referred applicant completes (until the expiration or maximum bonus amount is reached). Use the Driver Dashboard to see if your referral bonus is added to your payouts on a per-ride basis.
For Earnings Guarantees, the referring driver is notified by email after the referred applicant has completed the requirements. Please allow 1-2 pay cycles for the full bonus amount to appear in your payout.
Earnings Guarantee eligibility
The referred applicant is eligible for an Earnings Guarantee for the 30 days following their approval as a Lyft driver. If you’re eligible for a guarantee, we’ll email you with the amount and ride requirements. You'll be able to see your requirements and track your progress from the 'Earnings' tab on the home screen of the Lyft Driver app.
Eligible applicants must fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Enter a valid referral promotion code (in the promo code field) when you start your application. If you don’t enter a code upon starting your application, you won't be eligible for this promotion
- Get approved as a Lyft driver within 30 days of their original application date
- Meet the requirements shown in the 'Earnings' tab of the Lyft Driver App
Note: Each requesting passenger in a Shared ride counts toward your total number of rides for the week
Calculating the guaranteed amount
All eligible earnings are totaled once the requirements are met. Eligible earnings include the total payments for each ride, including per-ride bonuses. Other earnings such as tips, tolls, other Lyft bonuses, airport fees, and the Lyft Platform Fee and Service Fee aren’t included.
Receiving the guarantee
If the total eligible earnings for that pay period equal or exceed the guaranteed amount, congrats! You’ve earned the guaranteed amount.
If the total eligible earnings aren’t equal or more than the guaranteed amount, we'll bonus you the difference. The difference will be listed as a line item in your Weekly Summary and won't be included in any of your daily summaries.
Please note that the following terms apply, and are subject to change:
- Earnings guarantees are based on your take home ride earnings (not including tips, tolls, other Lyft bonuses or fees)
- Eligible drivers cannot also receive a new driver bonus. Only one code can be applied upon applying to drive with Lyft.
- This promotion runs for a limited time only and may be suspended or ended at any time at Lyft’s discretion. The amount of the guarantee varies by market and time of application and may be changed at Lyft’s discretion.
- No more than two rides given to the same passenger count toward your ride requirements