New Lyft drivers (approved within 30 days of applying) in select cities can earn a guaranteed amount per week. If you don’t hit the weekly guarantee amount on your own, we’ll cover the difference. To be eligible for the weekly guarantee, you must fulfill the requirements below.
Heads up: Weekly guarantees are based on pre-commission ride payments and tips, so any resulting bonuses are subject to Lyft’s commission.
- Driver eligibility requirements
- Eligible cities
- Ride requirements
- Payment and timing
- Additional terms
- Sample weekly guarantee
Driver eligibility requirements
- Get approved to drive with Lyft in an eligible city offering the weekly guarantee promotion.
- New drivers must apply by following the application link in a Lyft ad for weekly guarantees or using the weekly guarantee promo code. This code must be entered for you to qualify. After you’ve entered the code and submitted your application, we’ll email you with more info.
- Get approved as a Lyft driver within 30 days of starting your application.
- This begins the first time you apply as a Lyft driver and can’t be reversed if 30 days pass since you first began applying. Your first guaranteed week begins the first Monday after you’ve been approved to drive. This generally means that the first week you can earn a guarantee is the week after you’ve been approved.
- Meet the weekly ride requirements. If you’ve met the first two requirements above, you must fulfill the designated rides, hours, and acceptance rate during the week.
Austin | Boston | Chicago | Dallas | Denver | Los Angeles | Nashville | New York City | Orange County | Philadelphia | Phoenix | Portland | Sacramento | San Diego | San Francisco | Seattle | Silicon Valley | Washington, D.C.
Once you’ve been offered the weekly guarantee, there are a few more requirements to fulfill:
- Maintain a 90% weekly acceptance rate. Your weekly acceptance rate is listed on your Driver Dashboard.
- *Complete a predetermined amount of rides. Heads up: For Lyft Line rides, each requesting passenger you pick up counts toward the weekly goal.
- *Complete a predetermined amount of hours in driver mode. Hours in driver mode isn’t a rides-per-hour requirement. A driver can give three rides in one hour, and zero rides in the next hour. So long as you’re in Driver Mode, both hours count toward the weekly guarantee. There’s also no peak hour requirement for this promo.
*The predetermined amount of rides and hours in driver mode vary by city. Amounts are outlined in the emails that eligible drivers receive.
Be sure to read the additional terms for exceptions.
Payment and timing
If you’re eligible for the weekly guarantee, we’ll email you with the amount and ride requirements. While the guarantee amount will be the same for all four weeks of the guarantee, the actual amount of the bonus may change depending on what you earned that week.
This bonus amount is calculated at the end of each Lyft week (on Tuesday) in the breakdown box of the Driver Dashboard’s Driving History.
If you met all requirements, you’ll see the bonus in the next week’s direct deposit, which may take up to a week to see in your account, depending on your bank’s processing timeline. The difference (after Lyft’s commission is taken out) will be listed as a line item in your Driving History.
Your weekly guarantee bonus calculations are available to view in the earnings breakdown of the Driver Dashboard.
At the end of each week (starting 5 am Monday through 4:59 am the next Monday), we add up all eligible gross (meaning pre-commission) ride payments and tips.
Eligible ride payments include:
- Pre-commission time and distance fares
- Prime Time
Eligible ride payments don’t include:
- Airport fees
- The Service Fee
- Bonuses, such as an average hourly guarantee bonus
If the total eligible ride payments and tips for that pay period equal or exceed the guaranteed weekly amount, congrats! You’ve earned the guaranteed weekly amount.
If the total eligible ride payments aren’t equal or more than the guaranteed weekly amount, we take Lyft’s commission from the difference and then bonus you the rest.
The following terms apply to weekly guarantees and are subject to change:
- Weekly guarantees are based on pre-commission ride payments and tips, and any resulting bonuses are subject to Lyft’s commission
- Power Driver Bonuses don't apply to the Lyft commission amount taken out of a weekly guarantee bonus
- Eligible drivers cannot also receive other new driver incentives, such as the new driver referral bonus or sign-on bonus. Only one code can be applied upon applying to drive with Lyft.
- Lyft driver eligibility and approval is determined at the sole discretion of Lyft, and is not guaranteed
- The duration of the application review process may vary
- Participation in this promo is subject to Lyft's terms of service
- This promotion runs for a limited time only and may be suspended or ended at any time in Lyft’s discretion. The amount of the guarantee varies by market and time of application and may be changed in Lyft’s discretion.
- Market-specific caps may apply
- No more than two rides given to the same passenger will count toward the ride requirement
Sample weekly guarantee
Let’s say Lyft is offering $1,500 weekly guarantees for eligible new drivers’ first four weeks. In this example, eligible new drivers must be approved by Lyft within 30 days of applying. Then the drivers must fulfill the requirements for any of the four weeks to be eligible for that week:
- Give 50 rides
- Drive for 50 hours
- Maintain a 90% weekly acceptance rate
John applies to drive on Wednesday, January 1, by clicking on a Facebook advertisement about Lyft’s weekly guarantees. He completes the application process (after filling out the online application, completing a Mentor Session, and passing his background checks) on Saturday, Jan. 25, which is within 30 days of his original January 1 application date. So far, he’s eligible for the $1,500 weekly guarantees.
His first $1,500-guarantee week begins at 5 am on the first Monday after Lyft approval. For John, that means Monday, January 27. He has from 5 am on Monday, January 27 until 4:59 am on Monday, February 3 to fulfill the requirements for that week. John gives 50 rides and spends 52 hours in driver mode that week, all while achieving a 97% weekly acceptance rate. He didn’t give any rides during some of those 52 hours, but that doesn’t matter, as long as he gives at least 50 total rides that week. This means he’s eligible for the first week’s guarantee.
During the week, he makes $1,000 in ride payments and tips. That’s a $500 difference from the $1,500 guarantee. We’ll bonus John that amount after Lyft commission. So if John’s commission is 20% for this example, Lyft’s commission is $100, and we’ll bonus John the remaining $400. He’ll see the extra bonus listed in the Driver Dashboard’s weekly earnings breakdown as soon as Tuesday, February 4.
Remember: While John’s direct deposit will be initiated on Tuesday, February 4, it may take up to an additional week to show in his account because of bank processing or if there’s an issue with bank info. This means it may not show until the following Tuesday, on February 11.
John can repeat this process for each of the next three weeks. If he only drives for 45 hours during the second week, he won’t be eligible for that week’s guarantee, but can still give it another try during the third week.
Let's say he fulfills the requirements for the fourth week and makes $1,600 in ride payments and tips. In this case, we wouldn’t need to bonus him an additional amount, because he achieved the guaranteed amount on his own (yay!).