Lyft has two types of passenger promotions: Lyft credit and ride discounts. Promotions are claimed using promo codes.
Promotions may also be automatically applied to your account. Tap the 'Promos' tab to see promotions' restrictions and specific details.
Promo codes may be automatically applied through a link, or you can manually type them in the app.
When you get a text with a sign-up link for Lyft or click a friend's referral link online (on Facebook for example), the promo code is automatically applied to your Lyft account. When you finish creating your account, tap the 'Promos' tab see the promotion's details (including whether it's a ride discount or credit).
You can also enter promo codes manually. Tap the 'Promo' tab, then tap 'Enter promo code.' After you type in the code (remember to check spelling), tap 'Apply' to see whether the promo code is valid for your account. You'll also see the promotion amount, expiration date, and other terms.
If you're a new user without a promo code, go to Official Lyft Promo code to get ride credit!
Why isn’t my promo code working?
On the Payment screen after a ride, you'll see any amount taken off your ride and the total amount charged to your payment method. If your promotion didn't automatically apply, tap 'Payment method' (displayed above your ride total) to see your available promo options.
Here are the most common reasons a promo code wasn't applied to your ride:
- It’s expired: Most codes expire on a certain date. The expiration date and time are specified in the ‘Promos’ tab.
- It’s limited to a certain location: Some codes are only valid in specific cities or for rides going to or from an exact location. You won’t be able to apply a credit to unqualified rides
- You’re already using another promo code: You can't use more than one promo code per ride. Tap 'Payment method' on the Payment screen after a ride to switch between promotions.
- It's a business ride: Currently, ride coupons can't be used on Business Profile rides because your employer typically reimburses you for these rides.
Lyft has two types of ride discounts*: percentage discounts and fixed discounts.
- Percentage discounts reduce your fare by a certain percent. Percentage discounts only apply to the ride fare (base charge, time, distance, and Prime Time), not other amounts associated with the ride (such as tolls, airport fees, the Service Fee, cancellation fees, or damage fees).
- Fixed discounts remove a set dollar amount from your fare. Fixed discounts apply to ride fare itself and some additional fees, but not tips, cancellation fees, or damage fees.
Check the Terms to see specific promotion details. Terms are typically available in the communications you received about the promotion or in the ‘Promos’ section of the app.
*Ride discounts are only valid for one ride and don't roll over from ride to ride. If a ride costs more than the discount amount, the remaining amount will be charged to your default payment method.
Think of Lyft credit as cash in your account. Lyft credit will be automatically applied to eligible rides in the app. Lyft credit may be used over many rides until it expires or is used up.
Lyft credit applies to the fare itself and some fees, but not tips, cancellation fees, or damage fees associated with the ride.
Need help? Tap 'Call Me' to contact our support team.