All New York City drivers must have a TLC Driver's License issued by the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC). A current (not expired) For-Hire Vehicle License or a Medallion For-Hire Vehicle License are also acceptable.
See New York City Driver Information for more details about driving in New York City, and a full list of required driver documents.
To obtain a TLC Driver's License, you must:
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Have a valid Social Security Number (SSN)
- Have no more than 6 points on your DMV license within 15 months from the date of your most recent violation
- No outstanding fines, tickets, or parking violations
- Complete the TLC license application
- Upgrade your license to Class E or a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Take Defensive Driving and WAV courses
- Take a 24-Hour TLC Driver Education Course
- Complete your TLC Driver's License exam
- Complete a Drug Test
- Get fingerprinted
- Obtain a TLC medical exam
- Upload documents
Submit your application for a TLC license. This is in addition to your DMV license.
After you submit your application, you have 90 days to complete and submit all the requirements below. These requirements do not need to be completed in the order listed.
New York State Driver's License: Complete the Class E driver’s license form to upgrade your DMV license to a Class E or Commercial Driver's License (CDL). Fees may vary.
Out-of-State Driver's License: If you don’t have a New York State license, you’ll need to request a certified DMV abstract and clarify your driving history when you request an upgrade. Submit your form or request an abstract at your local DMV.
Complete a Defensive Driving course and Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) course.
Complete a 24-Hour TLC Driver Education course.
The TLC requires that you pass an exam after you complete the 24-Hour TLC Driver Education Course. You will receive an email from PSI (the testing center) with a link to register for the exam. Exams are available at PSI Centers in English, Arabic, Bengali, Simplified Chinese, Russian, Spanish, and Urdu. The exam fee is $49.
Complete a drug test at a TLC-approved location. You must bring your driver’s license, your TLC application receipt with your application number, and a $32 payment.
Complete the required fingerprinting through the IdentoGO NY website here.
Enter the code 15425Y to create an appointment. The fee is $88.50.
The TLC requires you to obtain confirmation that you passed a medical exam. Book a doctor’s appointment and have your provider complete the Medical Certification Form.
Upload your remaining documents and check your progress on the TLC Upload Portal. You will need to upload:
- Medical Certification Form
- Defensive Driving Course Certificate
- Copy of Class E Driver’s License or Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
The following requirements will be be reported by the relevant entity. You do not need to upload the following:
- WAV Course Confirmation
- Confirmation that you passed the 24-Hour TLC Driver Education Course and TLC Driver’s License exam
- Drug Test confirmation
- Fingerprinting confirmation