If you're a driver in New York City, see this page instead.
This page provides information about vehicle, driver, and document requirements, state regulations, insurance coverage, and city-specific requirements, needed to drive with Lyft in the State of New York.
To apply to drive in the State of New York, submit an application online or in the Lyft Driver app –– download it from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play store. To be approved to drive, applicants must meet these requirements.
- What you need to drive with Lyft in the State of New York
- New York State driver regulations
- Know your insurance
- Moving to or from New York State
Drivers are required to maintain current documents. Failing to update a required document before the expiration date results in temporary deactivation.
Use your Lyft Driver app or Driver Dashboard to upload your documents.
- 2004 or newer
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver's
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
- Not a taxi, livery, For-hire vehicle, or stretch limousine
- Not titled as salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt or any other equivalent classification
See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride.
In select cities, you can rent a car through Express Drive with standard insurance included.
- Valid New York State driver’s license — Temporary or out-of-state licenses are not allowed in the state of New York (see example here)*
- You must be at least 25 or older, excluding New York City, where the minimum age is 18.
- Pass a driver screening, which reviews your driving history and criminal background check. Learn more about driver screenings.
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app. See phone software recommendations.
*Make sure we can see your valid driver’s license number and the date it was issued in the photo (see sample here). If your license was issued less than 1 year ago, please include another document in your photo to show additional driving record — for example, you can include an expired driver’s license.
- Driver profile photo: Learn how to take the best photo
- Vehicle registration
- Personal vehicle insurance
Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. The Lyft emblem is Lyft’s official trade dress. It helps passengers and law enforcement identify your vehicle.
The Lyft emblem should be displayed in the lower corner of your windshield on the passenger side every time you enter driver mode. Make sure to remove the emblem when you are not in driver mode.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, order one in your Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
Be sure to follow these rules when giving rides in New York State, and keep an eye on your email for important updates from Lyft.
In addition to Lyft's mandatory break requirement, New York City regulations require that drivers:
- Provide rides for no more than 10 consecutive hours
- Provide rides for no more than 60 total hours within a 7-day period
Only time spent in actual rides count toward these limitations.
- Display all required emblems and placards
- Always have your driver’s license and insurance document
- Follow all airport rules
- Don't accept street hails
- Don't accept cash for rides
- Don't wait in taxi lines
- Do not stop, park, load, or unload passengers in a travel lane or in an officially designated bus or taxi stop
Driving and going online in New York City
To minimize downtime and stabilize driver earnings, the number of cars that can be on the road in New York City is limited based on passenger demand. This means when you’re online, you should receive more rides and be able to earn more per hour. Plus, you’ll spend less time waiting for your next ride.
To learn more about New York City rules and requirements, see our New York City driver information article.
Review Lyft's coverage here.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to New York, send us a message with the following info:
- Your name, phone number, and email address associated with your Lyft account
- The city you are currently driving in
- The area of New York State you’d like to switch to
- A photo of your New York state driver’s license
Please note: If you are a driver whose home region is New York City, and a passenger ride has brought you into New Jersey, your next match should be a ride request heading back to New York City.
Moving from New York to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.