Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in New York, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
If you're a driver in New York City, visit this page instead.
- Apply to drive
- Setting up your vehicle
- Tips and best practices
- Driver mode limits
- Document renewals
- Required documents
- Moving to or from New York as an existing Lyft driver
Apply to Drive
If you're applying to become a driver in New York State, check out the application steps.
Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. Refer to the image above for where to place your Lyft emblem.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, place an order in your Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
You are an approved driver, your ride is decked out with all the right things in all the right places, and you’re no stranger to the ins and outs of driving with Lyft.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not stop, park, load, or unload passengers in a travel lane or in an officially designated bus or taxi stop.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
In addition to Lyft's mandatory break requirement, New York City regulations require that drivers:
- Provide rides for no more than 10 consecutive hours
- Provide rides for no more than 60 total hours within a 7-day period
Only time spent in actual rides count toward these limitations.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents. Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
- New York State Driver's License - Issued by DMV
- Vehicle Registration - Issued by DMV
- Personal Vehicle Insurance
See details and sample images of each required document below. For additional information, you can text our Operations Support Team at (718) 715-4203.
New York State Driver's license
You must have a valid New York State driver’s license. A temporary license is acceptable, but be sure to upload your permanent copy when you receive it.
You must upload a copy of your registration for your personal vehicle.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to New York, send us a message with the following info:
- Your name, phone number, and email address associated with your Lyft account
- The city you are currently driving in
- The area of New York State you’d like to switch to
- A photo of your New York state driver’s license
You can also come visit us in person at our Long Island City Hub.
Please note: If you are a driver whose home region is New York City, and a passenger ride has brought you into New Jersey, your next match should be a ride request heading back to New York City.
Moving from New York to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.