Lyft is available at Chicago O'Hare (ORD) Airport. As long as you follow a few simple ground rules, you're in the clear for both pickups and drop-offs.
Review Airport Regulations Do’s & Don’ts
Drivers on the Lyft platform are responsible for knowing and following all airport regulations. Please see a full list of ORD’s rules and regulations, found at the airport’s website. As a driver, you must follow the rules listed below in order to avoid receiving administrative citations from ORD Airport.
Waiting for requests
- Wait in the designated staging area. Only drivers within the designated staging area are added to the queue.
Directions to staging area: Go South on Mannheim Rd/45 S. Proceed to the Balmoral exit on the right, continue around the curve to Balmoral Ave. The lot is on the left.
- The queue is first in-first out. The driver who has been waiting within the staging area in driver mode the longest gets the next request. Your physical location within the staging area does not affect your spot in the queue, but if you exit the staging area or log out of driver mode, you will lose your spot.
- If the staging area is full, you must leave the airport. You may not wait for requests anywhere else on airport property or use any other parking lots while in driver mode.
- Passenger cancellations don't affect your place in line. If your passenger cancels on you, head back to the staging area. As long as you're back within 5 minutes, you'll be placed at the front of the queue.
- Driver cancellations and missed requests do affect your place in line. If you are the one to cancel a request, or if you miss a request, you're placed at the back of the queue.
- You can view your place in line in the app. Learn how to view your position in the queue here.
- Domestic Terminal: pick up passengers from the Departures level in the designated Lyft zone (see map above).
- International Terminal: pick up passengers from the Arrivals level in the designated Lyft zone (see map above).
- Do not wait on the terminal roadway if your passenger is delayed. Head to the designated staging lot and wait there.
- Drop off passengers at Departures at the passenger’s carrier of choice.
- Do not wait for requests at the airport terminal after a drop-off. If you want to accept additional ride requests, proceed to the designated staging lot.
Lyft Emblem and Airport Placard
Keep your Lyft emblem displayed and visible at all times while giving Lyft rides.
If you are giving a non-Lyft ride at the airport, make sure to remove your emblem before entering airport property.
If you’ve been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem within a couple weeks. Didn't receive one? Let us know and we’ll look into it. In the mean time, you may print your own temporary emblem.
Display the blue airport placard on the passenger side of your rear windshield whenever giving rides at Chicago airports.
You’ll be sent a link to an online lesson and quiz for Chicago airports (you can also find it in the Dashboard). Once you complete it, we’ll send your airport placard in the mail.
City tax emblem
Display your City of Chicago tax emblem on your dashboard.
All Chicago drivers are sent a tax emblem via email by the City of Chicago shortly after being approved.
If You're Approached by an Airport Authority
Authorities at the airport may approach you and ask you for a waybill.
The waybill allows law enforcement officials to see information about your current or most recent ride.
To access your waybill, follow these steps:
- Go to your Dashboard*.
- Tap Waybill in the left side menu.
*Access your Dashboard either through the left panel menu in the Lyft app, or by going to lyft.com/drive in a web browser.
If you run into any trouble, reach out to our Support team. We're here to help 24/7.
ORD Airport will issue administrative citations to drivers who do not follow these rules. You are responsible for paying any tickets you receive for violating airport rules and regulations.
Review Chicago Requirements
When giving Lyft rides in Chicago, you should always have the following
- Lyft Emblem
- City Tax Emblem
- Vehicle Inspection Form (keep in your glovebox)
To learn more about these documents, click here.
Review our Policies
- Educate yourself on how to assist members of the community with disabilities. Review anti-discrimination policies here.
- Review the Safety and Zero-Tolerance Policies here.
- Review and comply with driver requirements in Chicago by reading through this page.
- Before conducting rides at Chicago O'hare, you must complete the Lesson.ly we sent you via email.