We have high safety standards for vehicles on the Lyft platform. Vehicles must meet the criteria below and any city or state requirements.
- Vehicle age
- 4 doors
- Seat belts
- Seat adjustment controls
- Tailpipe and muffler
- A/C and heat
Lyft vehicles must be model age 2005 or newer unless listed below:
|Lyft market or state||Oldest vehicle year|
|Alabama: Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile||2007|
|California (all cities)||2004|
|Colorado (all cities)||2004|
|Hawaii (all cities)||2002|
|Louisiana: New Orleans||2009|
|Maryland (all cities)||2007|
|Massachusetts (all cities)||2004|
|Minnesota: Minneapolis-St. Paul||2004|
|Nevada: Las Vegas||2008|
|New Jersey (all cities)||2004|
|New York: New York City||Vehicle age requirements governed by the TLC|
|North Carolina: Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham||2002|
|Pennsylvania (all cities)||2004|
|Ohio: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo||2002|
|Rhode Island: Providence||2004|
|Texas: Austin, Dallas, & Houston||2004|
|Virginia: Virginia Beach||2002|
- Lyft vehicles must have four doors
- All four doors must be able to open and close from the interior and the exterior
- Passengers must be able to unlock and lock their own doors
Here are some examples of cars with jump doors that aren't Lyft approved:
- Engine, suspension, steering, and brakes must be fully functional and safe
- If you were asked to fix these, visit a mechanic and have them perform the appropriate inspection or repair based on the issue with your car (see our inspection form.)
- All seat belts equipped in the vehicle must be functional
- There must be at least five seat belts, including the driver's
All exterior lights must function.
- Headlights (both high and low beams)
- Turn signals (both sides, front and rear)
- Brake lights
- Reverse lights (both lights)
Car must be free of body damage and dents. Taxis and stretch limousines aren't allowed on the Lyft platform.
All tires need sufficient tread. If you need to show us your tires are in good condition, perform a penny test and take a picture of each tire. Tap 'Contact Support' below to send the photos as attachments so we can sign off.
Here's what a penny test looks like:
- Windshield must be free of large cracks or any cracks in the driver’s field of vision
- Windows must be functional (able to roll up and down) and free of cracks
- Mirrors must be free of cracks
Wipers must be in good condition and functional.
Horn must function.
Front seats must be able to move forward and backward.
The vehicle's exhaust system must meet state standards (lacking modification and excessive wear).
Air conditioning and heat must be fully functional.