We have high safety standards for vehicles on the Lyft platform. All vehicles must meet the criteria below, in addition to any city or state requirements.
If you failed your Mentor Session due to one of these criteria not being met and have since made the necessary repairs, let us know by tapping 'Contact Support' below. Tap 'Attach files' and include pictures of each repaired item along with receipts.
- Vehicle age
- 4 doors
- Seat belts
- Seat adjustment controls
- A/C and heat
Lyft vehicles must be model age 2005 or newer, unless listed below:
|Lyft market or state||Oldest vehicle year|
|California (all cities)||2004|
|Colorado (all cities)||2004|
|Hawaii (all cities)||2002|
|Louisiana: New Orleans||2009|
|Massachusetts (all cities)||2004|
|Minnesota: Minneapolis-St. Paul||2004|
|Nevada (all cities)||2008|
|New Jersey (all cities)||2004|
|New York: New York City||Vehicle age requirements governed by the TLC|
|Pennsylvania (all cities)||2007|
|Rhode Island: Providence||2004|
|Texas: Austin & Dallas||2004|
|Virginia (all cities)||2006|
- Lyft vehicles must have four doors.
- All four doors need to be able to open and close from the interior and the exterior.
- Passengers need to be able to unlock and lock their own doors.
Here are some examples of cars with jump doors that are not Lyft-approved:
- Engine, suspension, steering, and brakes must be fully functional and safe.
- If you were asked to fix these, please visit a mechanic and have them perform the appropriate inspection or repair based on the issue with your car. (See our inspection form.) If you're unsure of the issue that the Mentor or mechanic found with your vehicle, tap 'Contact Support' below and we'll let you know.
- All seat belts equipped in the vehicle must be functional.
- There must be at least 5 seat belts, including the driver's.
All lights need to function:
- Headlights (Both, high beam and low beam)
- Turn signals (Both sides, front and rear)
- Brake lights
- Reverse lights (Both lights)
Car needs to be free of body damage and dents. Taxis and stretch limousines aren't allowed on the Lyft platform.
All tires need sufficient tread. If you need to show us your tires are in good condition, please perform a penny test and take a picture of each tire. Tap 'Contact Support' below to send the photos as attachments so our team can sign off.
- Windshield needs to be free of large cracks or any cracks in the driver’s field of vision.
- Windows need to be functional (roll up and down) and free of cracks.
- Mirrors need to be free of cracks.
Wipers need to be in good condition and functional.
Horn must function.
Front seats need to move forward and backward.
Exhaust system needs to be within state standards, lacking modification and excessive wear.
Air conditioning and heat need to be fully functional.