As a driver, you're there to get the passenger from point A to point B efficiently while providing a delightful experience.
- Getting to the passenger
- Giving the ride
- Handling navigation issues
After you accept a request, tap 'Navigate.' The app automatically opens up your selected navigation app to guide you to the passenger. (Tap 'Settings' to choose which navigation app you want to use.)
The passenger will see your car icon approaching on their app and your ETA. When you're getting close, we'll send them a text message.
If you get stuck in traffic or accidentally take a wrong turn, you can call the passenger in the app. Just tap the phone icon in the top right to choose the 'Call' option. If they no longer want or need the ride, ask them to cancel it.
For safety reasons, ask the passenger exactly where they're going before you start driving. Don't type addresses or toggle between apps while the vehicle is moving.
Standard Lyft and Lyft XL rides
Enter the address
When the passenger enters your car and you've tapped to confirm their arrival, you'll either see a pop-up with their address or a field to enter it.
- If the passenger has already entered their address, tap 'Navigate' on the pop-up
- If the passenger hasn't entered their address, they can enter it into their app. The address will then appear on your app momentarily. You can also type the rider's address into your app (intersections, landmarks, and businesses usually work, too).
Before you begin driving, quickly show your passenger the destination on your phone and ask them to confirm. The extra few seconds can save a lot of time and hassle, and passengers appreciate you being thorough.
Changes to the address or multiple stops
If passengers want to change their drop-off location, they can update the destination in the app throughout the ride.
Passengers can also add a stop on the way to their final destination in standard Lyft, Lyft XL, or Lyft Lux rides. The app alerts you when a passenger adds a stop, which they can do before pickup or during a ride.
The final price and your pay are calculated based on time and distance. Rides with added stops will likely be longer and result in higher earnings.
Before passengers get out at a stop, set expectations by agreeing on wait time. Taking a moment to do this will minimize confusion and make your ride easier and frustration-free.
If the passenger thinks they may take ten minutes or more, or if they don't return at the agreed-upon time, feel free to end the ride and suggest the passenger request a new Lyft when they are finished at their stop.
How to end a ride at a stop:
- To ensure you are paid for the first part of the ride you drove, do not cancel the ride.
- Instead, tap 'Ready to go' then 'Drop off'
Navigation apps vs. passenger directions
Some passengers have a preferred route and will ask you to follow their directions instead of the app. For standard Lyft and Lyft XL rides, this is OK. We recommend letting them call the shots.
It's up to you whether you follow a passenger's directions. Keep in mind that they're paying for a ride from you and can rate you at the end based on their experience.
Shared rides are less flexible than regular rides because multiple parties with different destinations may be sharing your vehicle. Learn how Shared rides work.
Always follow the app's instructions
In a Shared ride, you may have more than one party to pick up. Passengers know this and shouldn't necessarily expect you to take the most direct route every time. Our goal is to pair them with other passengers on their way, but that may mean veering off course a few blocks.
Keep a close eye on your Lyft app for Shared rides. The route is built on efficiency, so the order of who is picked up and dropped off first varies from ride to ride.
No multiple stops or changes to the address
- No changes to the address: Prices are fixed and calculated based on the address the passenger enters. If they change their mind, they'll need to cancel the ride and re-request.
- No extra stops: Shared rides are meant to go from point A to B. No stops should be added to the ride.
Shared Saver rides functions similarly to Shared rides but may involve a short walk to the pickup location or from the drop-off location for the rider.
- We'll notify riders in their app if they need to walk to you or to their final destination
- If your rider is walking to meet you, we’ll notify you in the Lyft Driver app
- We’ll also let you know if your rider needs to walk to reach their destination
Navigation apps aren't perfect! Sometimes you're led to a construction zone or accidentally turn too soon.
Most passengers are forgiving and will be patient while you get your bearings. Let us know if you have a ride with less-than-perfect navigation, and we'll make sure the passenger is taken care of.
To have us correct a ride for navigation, tap 'Contact Support' below to send us a message. Include the following info:
- Passenger's name
- Time and date of ride
- A brief description of what happened
- Relevant screenshots of the issue (for example, bad navigation)