Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in New York City, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
If you're a driver in any other city in New York State, visit this page instead.
- Apply to drive
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Document renewals
- Moving to or from New York City as an existing Lyft driver
Apply to Drive
If you're applying to become a driver in New York City, check out the application steps.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not wait in taxi lines.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents. Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
- Driver's License - Issued by DMV
- Vehicle Registration - Issued by DMV
- FH1 Insurance - Standard Insurance
- TLC Inspection
- For-Hire License - Issued by Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC)
- Certificate of Liability Insurance (COL) - Commercial Liability Insurance
See details and sample images of each required document below. For additional information, you can call our automated information number at 855-NYC-LYFT.
Driver's license can be from any state, as long as you have a current TLC license.
Issued by the New York DMV
Standard driver insurance
You must submit one of these three:
- TLC inspection card
- Base sticker
- TLC inspection certificate
Issued by the Taxi and Limousine commission (TLC). You may submit either a For-Hire License or a Medallion FHV License:
All drivers in New York City must have a Certificate of Liability Insurance (COL).
- If your name does not appear on the document, you must provide a second document listing your name and matching policy number.
- If the policy numbers between the COL and driver list document do not match, you must provide a Policy Cover Sheet.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to New York City, send us a message with images of all the documents above, or visit our office:
31-00 47th Ave.,4th floor
Long Island City, NY 11101
Open Monday through Friday
10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Eastern Time
Moving from New York City to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.