- Schedule a pickup
- Vehicle renewals
- In-person inspections
- Vehicle returns
- Rental car agreement
- Not eligible to rent
Follow the instructions below to schedule a pickup:
- Visit lyft.com/expressdrive
- Verify your phone number
- Select 'Rent with Express Drive' to begin your application
- Once you pass the DMV and background checks, you'll be able to schedule a pickup
Active drivers with a personal vehicle
- Visit the 'Vehicles' section in your Driver Dashboard
- Select 'Rent with Express Drive' to schedule a pickup
Available vehicles will be listed through the selectable pickup dates in the Driver Dashboard. If you tried to schedule a pickup reservation and no cars were available, keep checking back to try again.
Once you successfully schedule a pickup, you will be required to pay a refundable rental deposit. For more information on rental deposits, check out Express Drive earnings and charges.
After the rental deposit is received, your reservation is confirmed.
You can reschedule or cancel your rental reservation from the Lyft Driver app. If you cancel your appointment, you will have to restart the reservation process.
If no cars are available right now, don't worry — you're still approved to rent with Express Drive. This just means there's high demand for cars in your area. We update pickup dates for new appointments every night at midnight, so try checking back soon.
Appointments are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. Right now, there's no way to join a waitlist or get notified when more cars are available.
Automatic weekly renewals are a flexible benefit of using Express Drive. We’ll automatically renew your rental for 7 days if you meet our rental partners' ride requirements, make any necessary payments each week, complete any required maintenance, and remain in good standing with the Express Drive program.
The status of your renewal can be found in the 'Vehicles' tab of the Driver Dashboard. We'll send you an email and SMS to notify you that your rental has been automatically renewed.
To maintain your good standing and keep renting each week, our rental partners have some specific requirements for every Express Drive renter:
- Minimum ride requirement: You must complete a minimum number of rides each week, per your rental agreement.
- 7-day minimum: There's a 7-day minimum length for each rental. This means there's also a 7-day minimum rental charge, even if you return your car after less than 7 days.
- Perform preventative maintenance (Flexdrive only): For every set amount of miles, Flexdrive will request that you take the vehicle into an approved maintenance facility to ensure that your vehicle stays in good condition. All preventative maintenance is included in your rental rate.
If renting a Hertz or Avis vehicle, you need to bring your vehicle back to your original rental location when requested so our partners can run a routine inspection and you can sign a new rental contract. We'll do our best to get you in and out quickly so you can get back on the road.
We'll remind you when to bring in your car. When prompted to return for an in-person inspection, schedule your inspection in your Driver Dashboard.
Note: All renters in the New York City area will be subject to in-person inspections, including users renting Flexdrive vehicles. Flexdrive vehicles in Baltimore are subject to an in-person inspection every 180 days.
You can return your rental any time to the location where you picked up your vehicle, during normal business hours. As long as you've hit the 7-day minimum, you'll only be charged for the days you had the vehicle. To schedule a return, go to your Driver Dashboard. Be sure to check in with a Lyft associate when you return so we can make sure your rental is properly closed out.
If you need to return or swap your vehicle due to maintenance or repairs, learn more here.
Head's up: Using Roadside Assistance to tow a drivable rental vehicle back to the rental location may result in a tow charge to your account.
Your rental agreement varies by car provider and outlines specific details like rental length, personal use policy, applicable fees, etc. Here's where you can find yours:
- Hertz: You will receive a paper copy from Hertz when you pick up your rental car. The Hertz Rental Addendum is also available beneath the 'Vehicles' tab in your Driver Dashboard.
- Flexdrive and Avis: After you've started your rental, you can view your rental agreement in the Driver Dashboard (must be logged in). You'll receive an updated rental agreement anytime you renew your rental.
You may be unable to rent or renew with Express Drive if:
- You haven’t been meeting your rental requirements – It’s important to make payments on time, complete the number of required rides each week, and complete any required inspections or preventative maintenance.
- You’ve had 3 or more traffic violations – This can include accidents or traffic light violations.
- You’ve had an accident with Express Drive – Safety is our top priority for both drivers and passengers.
- An unauthorized driver used your rental vehicle – This is a violation of your rental agreement.
- You’ve violated the Lyft Terms of Service