Michigan Driver Information
This page provides information about vehicle, driver, and document requirements, state regulations, insurance coverage, and city-specific requirements, needed to drive with Lyft in the state of Michigan.
To apply to drive in Michigan, submit an application online or in the Lyft Driver app or download it from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play store. To be approved to drive, applicants must meet these requirements.
What you need to drive with Lyft in Michigan
Drivers are required to maintain current documents. Failing to update a required document before the expiration date results in temporary deactivation.
Use your Lyft Driver app or Driver Dashboard to upload your documents. To add documents in the app, tap 'Account' in the main menu, then 'Documents.
Different regions in this state have specific vehicle age requirements. Click here to see if your vehicle qualifies. All vehicles must meet the following criteria:
- 2010 or newer
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver's
- Not a taxi, stretch limousine, or non-Express Drive rental vehicle
- Not titled as salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt or any other equivalent classification
See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride.
In select cities, you can rent a car through Express Drive with standard insurance included. Rental vehicles must be rented through the Express Drive program to be approved for use on the Lyft platform.
- Valid driver’s license — Temporary or out-of-state licenses are also acceptable.
- You must be 25 years or older to drive.
- Pass a driver screening, which reviews your driving history and criminal background check. Learn more about driver screenings.
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app. See phone software recommendations.
- Driver profile photo: Learn how to take the best photo
- Vehicle registration
- Personal vehicle insurance
Michigan vehicle inspection
Drivers are required to pass a vehicle inspection before being approved to drive. Approved drivers will need an updated vehicle inspection annually:
When visiting an approved inspection location, use this form. Inspection cost varies depending on the area and facility. Once completed, upload your inspection form to the Lyft Driver app. Keep a current inspection form in your vehicle at all times while in driver mode.
To upload your inspection form:
1. Open the menu.
2. Tap on 'Account.'
3. Tap 'Documents.'
Inspections are valid until the marked expiration date. If no expiration date is marked, Lyft will require a new inspection to be done one year after the inspection date.
Note: existing Michigan drivers are only required to have annual inspections if the vehicle is 5 years or older. Follow the instructions above to have your vehicle inspected.
Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. The Lyft emblem is Lyft’s official trade dress. It helps passengers and law enforcement identify your vehicle.
The Lyft emblem should be displayed in the lower corner of your windshield on the passenger side every time you enter driver mode. Make sure to remove the emblem when you are not in driver mode.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, order one in your Lyft Driver app or Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
Michigan driver regulations
Be sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Michigan, and keep an eye on your email for important updates from Lyft.
Hourly driver mode limits
In Michigan, Lyft’s standard time limit for driver mode applies.
- Display all required emblems and placards
- Always have your driver’s license and insurance document
- Follow all airport rules
- Don't accept street hails
- Don't accept cash for rides
- Don't wait in taxi lines
- Do not stop, park, load, or unload passengers in a travel lane or in an officially designated bus or taxi stop.
Know your insurance
Review Lyft's coverage here.
Moving to or from Michigan
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Michigan, send us a message with the following info:
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your vehicle registration*
- A clear photo of your completed vehicle inspection form if your vehicle is 5 years or older**
*If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, you do not need to send it in again.
**Vehicles in Michigan that are 5 years and older require an inspection before they're approved to be on the road.
Moving from Michigan to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.