Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Washington, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
If you're a driver in Seattle, King County, or Tacoma, visit this page instead.
If you're applying to become a driver in Washington, check out the application steps.
- Setting up your vehicle
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Document renewals
- Moving to or from Washington as an existing Lyft driver
Drivers are encouraged to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. Refer to the image above for where to place your Lyft emblem.
If you've just been approved to drive, you should receive your emblem shortly. If you never received it, or need a new one, send us a message with your shipping address. In the meantime, you can print out a temporary emblem — make sure to print in color.
You are an approved driver, your ride is decked out with all the right things in all the right places, and you’re no stranger to the ins and outs of driving with Lyft.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not stop, park, load, or unload passengers in a travel lane or in an officially designated bus or taxi stop.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents (license, registration, insurance). Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
Drivers in Spokane and Bellingham are required to have an annual vehicle inspection:
- Print the form. Bring this form to a mechanic and have them perform your vehicle inspection.
- Upload a copy. Scan or take a photo of your completed inspection form and upload it to the Dashboard for our records.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Washington, send us a message with the following info. If you're moving to Seattle, King County, or Tacoma, follow the steps here instead.
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your vehicle registration (Bellingham only)*
- Completed vehicle inspection form (Spokane and Bellingham only — follow the Annual Vehicle Inspection steps above)
- Business license (Bellingham only — info below)
*If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, you do not need to send it in again.
Drivers in Bellingham are required to obtain and upload a copy of their business registration.
Apply for your Bellingham business registration either in person or online by following the steps here.
Moving from Washington to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.