Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Washington, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
If you're a driver in Seattle, King County, or Tacoma, visit this page instead.
- Apply to drive
- Setting up your vehicle
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Document renewals
- Annual vehicle inspection
- Business licenses / individual licensing
- Moving to or from Washington as an existing Lyft driver
Apply to Drive
If you're applying to become a driver in Washington, check out the application steps.
Drivers are encouraged to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. Refer to the image above for where to place your Lyft emblem.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, place an order in your Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
You are an approved driver, your ride is decked out with all the right things in all the right places, and you’re no stranger to the ins and outs of driving with Lyft.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not stop, park, load, or unload passengers in a travel lane or in an officially designated bus or taxi stop.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents (license, registration, insurance). Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
Drivers in Bellingham, Kennewick, Olympia/Thurston County, Pullman, Richland, and Spokane are required to have an annual vehicle inspection:
- Print the form. Bring this form to a mechanic and have them perform your vehicle inspection.
- Upload a copy. Scan or take a photo of your completed inspection form and upload it to the Dashboard for our records.
Recommended inspection location for Pullman: Evergreen Tire Center
Bellingham regulations require all vehicle inspections to be ASE certified. Visit any of the following locations with a copy of the inspection form to receive an ASE certified inspection:
|Jiffy Lube||4070 Meridian Street, Bellingham, WA 98226|
|Jiffy Lube||2436 E Bakerview Rd., Bellingham, WA 98226|
|Firestone||1530 North State Street, Bellingham, WA 98225|
|Elliot Tire& Service Center||1621 Riverside Drive, Mount Vernon, WA 98273|
|Emily's Garage||315 E Casino Rd suite a, Everett, WA 98208|
|Midas||4043 Guide Meridian Road, Bellingham, WA 98223|
|Midas||801 Ohio Street, Bellingham, WA 98225|
Kennewick and Richland Inspections
Kennewick and Richland regulations require all vehicle inspections to be ASE certified. Visit any of the following locations with a copy of the inspection form to receive an ASE certified inspection:
|360 Automotive & Repair||6200 W Clearwater Ave., Kennewick, WA 99336|
|A-1 Auto Repair||620 E 3rd Ave., Kennewick, WA 99336|
|A-Z Auto||1402 W Kennewick Ave., Kennewick, WA 99336|
|Master Tech Automotive||1315 Lee Blvd., Richland, WA 99352|
|Meyers Auto Tech||1120 North Grant Place, Kennewick, WA 99336|
|Motoring Services||8920 W Victoria Ave., Kennewick, WA 99336|
|West Richland Auto Repair||3683 W Van Giesen Street, West Richland, WA 99353|
Spokane regulations require all vehicle inspections to be performed be an ASE certified mechanic. Visit any of the following locations with a copy of the inspection form to receive an ASE certified inspection:
|Common Sense Motors||1427 N Division St||509-327-5122|
|Arrow Auto Repair||3030 E Mission Ave||509-535-2886|
|Riverside Automotive||2327 E Riverside Ave||509-315-5740|
|Walker’s Automotive||19009 E Appleway||509-922-0468|
|Stanley’s Service Center||5202 N Nevada St||509-327-1460|
|North Hill Auto Repair||4410 N Wall St||509-328-5670|
|Perfection Tire||604 E 2nd Ave||509-747-1164|
|Downtown Auto Specialists||430 E Sprague Ave||509-581-4229|
The city or county where you live may require you to obtain a business license. Refer to your local city or county's website for these requirements. Keep your business license in your vehicle in case the authorities ask to see it.
Select a city for local requirements:
Bellingham Business Registration
Drivers in Bellingham are required to obtain and upload a copy of their business registration.
Apply for your Bellingham business registration either in person or online by following these steps.
Kennewick Business License
If you pick up passengers using the Lyft app in Kennewick, WA you are required to get a local business license if you have gross revenues in excess of twelve thousand dollars ($12,000) per year from business activities. You can apply online and learn more by following the link below.
Note: If you estimate to generate less than $12,000 per year, you are not required to register with the Washington State Department of Revenue and are exempt from seeking a city business license and paying a license fee, but in computing gross revenue, revenue from outside the City must be included. Proof of income shown by filed federal and/or state tax returns from the prior year must be maintained and presented upon demand to the City of Kennewick Finance Department.
If you pick up passengers using the Lyft app in Longview, WA, you are required to get a local business license. You can apply online and learn more by following this link:
Richland Business License
If you pick up passengers using the Lyft app in Richland, WA you are required to get a local business license. You can apply online and learn more by following this link:
Spokane For-Hire Driver License
To be approved to drive in Spokane, applicants are required to obtain a Spokane for-hire driver license. Your background check must be completed before you can go to the City of Spokane office.
Follow these steps to get your Spokane for-hire driver license:
- Upload your driver license, vehicle insurance, vehicle registration and vehicle inspection in the Lyft Driver App.
- Wait for your Lyft Background Check to complete. You’ll see a green checkmark in the app which will indicate it’s complete.
- Print and fill out this for-hire driver license application.
- You must include proof of Lyft certification with your for-hire driver license application. Once you’ve been approved to drive, Lyft will send you a confirmation email titled “Congrats! You’re Approved - Next Steps.” Print out this email and include it with your for-hire driver license application.
- All Lyft drivers must obtain a local business license. Follow these steps to obtain your business license before visiting the licensing office. Please note: If your business license application is still processing, for purposes of your for-hire driver license application, the City of Spokane licensing office will accept your receipt of payment for the business license in place of the business license itself.
- Applications must include two recent color photographs. The Police Records Department located in the Spokane Public Safety Building provides passport photo services. Photos can also be purchased from any passport photo services location.
- Visit the City of Spokane office to submit your for-hire driver license application and pay the $55 application fee to the City of Spokane:
- Once you have your Spokane for-hire driver license, take a photo and upload it to your profile in the Lyft Driver App.
Note: For identification verification purposes, bring your driver’s license with you to the licensing office.
Already have a Spokane for-hire driver license? Upload it to your profile in the Lyft Driver App. You don’t need to apply again.
Thurston County Business Licenses (Olympia, Tumwater, Lacey & Yelm)
If you pick up passengers using the Lyft app in Olympia, Tumwater, Lacey or Yelm you are required to get a local business license. You can apply online and learn more by following these links:
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Washington, send us a message with the following info. If you're moving to Seattle, King County, or Tacoma, follow the steps here instead.
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your vehicle registration*
- Completed vehicle inspection form (Spokane and Bellingham only — follow the Annual Vehicle Inspection steps above)
- Business license (Bellingham only. Learn more.)
*If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, you do not need to send it in again.
Please note, if you are moving to Olympia your vehicle must be from 2009 or newer, and your vehicle registration and insurance must be issued in Washington State.
Moving from Washington to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.