This page provides information about vehicle, driver, and document requirements, state regulations, insurance coverage, and city-specific requirements, needed to drive with Lyft in the state of Minnesota.
If you're a driver or are applying to drive in Minneapolis/St. Paul, visit this page instead.
To apply to drive in Minnesota, submit an application online or in the Lyft Driver app –– download it from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play store. To be approved to drive, applicants must meet these requirements.
- What you need to drive with Lyft in Minnesota
- Minnesota driver regulations
- Know your insurance
- In-person support (Lyft Hubs)
- Moving to or from Minnesota
Drivers are required to maintain current documents. Failing to update a required document before the expiration date results in temporary deactivation.
Use your Lyft Driver app or Driver Dashboard to upload your documents.
- 2009 or newer: Duluth
- 2004 or newer: Minneapolis/St. Paul (2008 vehicles and older must have less than 150K mileage. For all Minneapolis/St. Paul information, see this page.)
- 2003 or newer: All other cities
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver's
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
- Not a taxi or stretch limousine
- Not titled as salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt or any other equivalent classification
See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride.
In select cities, you can rent a car through Express Drive with standard insurance included.
- Valid driver’s license — Temporary or out-of-state licenses are also acceptable*
- 21 or older
- Pass a driver screening, which reviews your driving history and criminal background check. Learn more about driver screenings.
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app. See phone software recommendations.
*Drivers are required to have a valid driver's license. If you only have a temporary license, take a side-by-side photo of your old driver's license next to the temporary license. See example.
- Driver profile photo: Learn how to take the best photo
- Vehicle registration
- Personal vehicle insurance
- Vehicle inspection
Drivers in Duluth are required to upload a photo of their vehicle registration.
Drivers in Duluth are required to have their vehicle inspected by an ASE certified mechanic. An inspection location will be assigned in your driver application.
Drivers in Mankato may visit any mechanic with Lyft's inspection form.
Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. The Lyft emblem is Lyft’s official trade dress. It helps passengers and law enforcement identify your vehicle.
The Lyft emblem should be displayed in the lower corner of your windshield on the passenger side every time you enter driver mode. Make sure to remove the emblem when you are not in driver mode.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, order one in your Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
Be sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Minnesota, and keep an eye on your email for important updates from Lyft.
In Minnesota, Lyft’s standard time limit for driver mode applies.
- Your automobile insurance policy might not provide any coverage while you're logged in as a driver and are available to receive ride requests, or while engaged in a Lyft ride, depending on its terms.
- Using a vehicle with a lien against the vehicle to provide transportation network services may violate your contract with the lien holder.
- Display all required emblems and placards
- Always have your driver’s license and insurance document
- Follow all airport rules
- Don't accept street hails
- Don't accept cash for rides
- Don't wait in taxi lines
Review Lyft's coverage here.
We're opening Lyft Hubs across the country to offer in-person support for drivers. Your local Hub is a one-stop shop for answers on everything from setting up direct deposit to discovering where you’ll get the most ride requests.
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your driver's license. If you only have a temporary license, take a side-by-side photo of your old driver's license next to the temporary license. See example.
- A clear photo of your vehicle inspection (Duluth and Mankato only)*
- A clear photo of your vehicle registration (Duluth only)**
* If you are moving to Duluth or Mankato, you must obtain a vehicle inspection.
In Duluth, have your vehicle inspection by an ASE certified mechanic using this form, and your vehicle must be from 2009 or newer.
In Mankato, you may visit any mechanic and have your vehicle inspected using this form.
** If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, you do not need to send it in again.
Moving from Minnesota to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.