Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in South Carolina, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
- Apply to drive
- Vehicle inspection
- Setting up your vehicle
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Document renewals
- Moving to or from South Carolina as an existing Lyft driver
Apply to Drive
If you're applying to become a driver in South Carolina, check out the application steps.
Within 30 days of becoming approved as a driver, have your vehicle inspected by a certified mechanic licensed in South Carolina:
- Print the form.
- Visit a licensed mechanic. Bring the form to a licensed mechanic and have your vehicle inspected.
- Upload the form. Upload a photo of the completed form in the Dashboard.
Inspections are valid until the marked expiration date. If no expiration date is marked, Lyft requires a new inspection one year after the inspection date.
At the Pep Boys locations listed in the table, you can get an inspection for about $15.
|Pep Boys||6240 Rivers Ave||North Charleston||(843) 744-7831|
|Pep Boys||1550 Savannah Hwy||Charleston||(843) 766-7415|
|Jiffy Lube||404 W Coleman Blvd||Mt. Pleasant||(843) 884-7326|
|Jiffy Lube||2491 Ashley River Rd||Charleston||(843) 763-0062|
|Jiffy Lube||8336 Rivers Ave||Charleston||(843) 824-5250|
Heads up: Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. Check the image above for where to place your Lyft emblem. Be sure to display it correctly to avoid citations and fines.
If you’ve recently been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, place an order in the Vehicles tab of the Driver Dashboard.
Drivers in South Carolina are required to display their vehicle’s license plate number in a legible font no less than 2 inches in height on the front of their vehicle. This can be displayed on your windshield, dashboard, or elsewhere on the front of your vehicle, and it does not need to be permanent.
You can use this form to create a printable copy of your license plate number.
You are an approved driver, your ride is decked out with all the right things in all the right places, and you’re no stranger to the ins and outs of driving with Lyft.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not stop, park, load, or unload passengers in a travel lane or in an officially designated bus or taxi stop.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents (license, registration, insurance). Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to South Carolina, send us a message with the following info:
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
When you move to South Carolina, be sure to have your vehicle inspected within 30 by a certified mechanic licensed in South Carolina.
Moving from South Carolina to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.