This page provides information about vehicle, driver, and document requirements, state regulations, insurance coverage, and city-specific requirements, needed to drive with Lyft in the state of New Jersey.
To apply to drive in New Jersey, submit an application online or in the Lyft Driver app –– download it from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play store. To be approved to drive, applicants must meet these requirements.
- What you need to drive with Lyft in New Jersey
- New Jersey driver regulations
- Know your insurance
- Moving to or from New Jersey
Drivers are required to maintain current documents. Failing to update a required document before the expiration date results in temporary deactivation.
Use your Lyft Driver app or Driver Dashboard to upload your documents.
- 2005 or newer
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver's
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
- Not a taxi, stretch limousine, or for-hire vehicle
- Not titled as salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt or any other equivalent classification
See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride.
In select cities, you can rent a car through Express Drive with standard insurance included.
- Valid driver’s license — Temporary or out-of-state licenses are also acceptable*
- 21 or older
- Pass a driver screening, which reviews your driving history and criminal background check. Learn more about driver screenings.
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app. See phone software recommendations.
*If license was issued less than 1 year ago, please include another document in your photo to show additional driving record. For example, you can include an expired driver’s license. More info from the NJ DMV here.
- Driver profile photo: Learn how to take the best photo
- Vehicle registration
- Personal vehicle insurance
Your personal vehicle insurance card must include your name and the make, model, and VIN of your vehicle (see sample here). Note: If your name is not on this document, please include in the photo a declaration page from your insurance company that includes your name.
Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. The Lyft emblem is Lyft’s official trade dress. It helps passengers and law enforcement identify your vehicle.
The Lyft emblem should be displayed in the lower corner of your windshield on the passenger side every time you enter driver mode. Make sure to remove the emblem when you are not in driver mode.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, order one in your Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
If you are a New Jersey driver, you agree to notify Lyft if you are convicted, charged or arrested for a violent crime, felony, sexual offense, driving offense, or drug-related offense.
Be sure to follow these rules when giving rides in New Jersey, and keep an eye on your email for important updates from Lyft.
In New Jersey, Lyft’s standard time limit for driver mode applies.
- Display all required emblems and placards
- Always have your driver’s license and insurance document
- Follow all airport rules
- Don't accept street hails
- Don't accept cash for rides
- Don't wait in taxi lines
Review Lyft's coverage here.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to New Jersey, send us a message with the following info. Please note, you will be required to have your vehicle registered in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, or New York.
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
*If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, you do not need to send it in again.
Please note: if you are a driver in New Jersey, you are not able to receive ride requests in New York City. If a passenger ride has brought you into New York City, you will need to return to New Jersey in order to receive another ride.
If you would like to switch to New York City, or you're moving from New Jersey to a different state, find your new market in the list here to see what steps you'll need to take.