Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Alabama, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
- Apply to drive
- Vehicle inspection requirements (Birmingham, Huntsville, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa)
- Setting up your vehicle
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Driver mode limits
- Document renewals
- Moving to or from Alabama as an existing Lyft driver
Apply to Drive
If you're applying to become a driver in Alabama, check out the application steps.
Drivers in Alabama are required to have a vehicle inspection before becoming approved to drive.
Instructions for having your vehicle inspected:
- Print the form
- Visit a licensed mechanic. Bring the form to an ASE or AATI licensed mechanic and have your vehicle inspected.
- Upload the form. Upload a photo of the completed form in the Dashboard.
Inspections are valid until the marked expiration date. If no expiration date is marked, Lyft requires a new inspection one year after the inspection date.
Drivers are required to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. Refer to the image above for where to place your Lyft emblem.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, order one in your Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
You are an approved driver, your ride is decked out with all the right things in all the right places, and you’re no stranger to the ins and outs of driving with Lyft.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not stop, park, load, or unload passengers in a travel lane or in an officially designated bus or taxi stop.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
In Alabama, Lyft's standard limit for driver mode applies.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents (license, registration, insurance). Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Alabama, send us a message with the following info:
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your vehicle registration*
*If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, you do not need to send it in again.
Moving from Alabama to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.