Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Hawaii, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
- Apply to drive
- Setting up your vehicle
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Document renewals
- Moving to or from Hawaii as an existing Lyft driver
Apply to Drive
If you're applying to become a driver in Hawaii, check out the application steps.
Take the Honolulu Driving Quiz
Drivers in Honolulu are required to review the Honolulu lesson in the Dashboard and take the quiz at the end.
Hawaii GET Tax License
Drivers in Hawaii have to pay a General Excise Tax (GET). For information regarding GET licenses, click here.
Drivers in Honolulu are required to display the Lyft emblem on their front and rear bumpers while in driver mode.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, place an order in your Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
Keep the following in your vehicle:
- Driver's license
- Vehicle registration
Private Transportation Driver and Vehicle Certificate
Your private transportation driver and vehicle certificates can be found in your Driver Dashboard in the 'Driver Info' and 'Vehicles' tabs. You may be required to present the certificates for inspection at the request of local law enforcement.
To view your private transportation driver and vehicle certificates:
- Open your driver app and go to the side bar
- Tap 'Dashboard'
- Tap the menu icon in the top-left corner
- Tap the 'Driver Info' and/or 'Vehicles' tabs to access your certificates. That's it!
Here's how it will look in your app:
Go to the side bar and tap 'Dashboard.'
Tap the menu icon in the top-left corner.
Tap the 'Driver Info' and/or 'Vehicles' tabs to access your certificates.
Here's an example driver certificate.
Here's an example vehicle certificate.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not wait in taxi lines.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
Standards for Honolulu Drivers
Review the standards for drivers in Honolulu here.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents (license, insurance, registration, inspection sticker). Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Hawaii, send us a message with the following info:
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- Honolulu only: Hawaii driver's license, Hawaii vehicle registration, and Hawaii vehicle safety inspection sticker*
*If you already have a Hawaii driver's license or registration on file with Lyft, you do not need to send them in again.
Moving from Hawaii to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.