Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Ohio, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
- Apply to drive
- Vehicle requirements
- Setting up your vehicle
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Document renewals
- Moving to or from Ohio as an existing Lyft driver
Apply to drive
If you're applying to become a driver in Ohio, check out the application steps.
All vehicles must be 2003 or newer, have 4 doors, and 5-8 seats, including the driver's.
Drivers are encouraged to display the Lyft emblem while in driver mode. Refer to the image above for where to place your Lyft emblem.
If you’ve just been approved to drive, you should receive your Lyft emblem shortly. If you didn't get one or need a new one, place an order in your Dashboard. While waiting for it to arrive, you may print a temporary emblem.
You are an approved driver, your ride is decked out with all the right things in all the right places, and you’re no stranger to the ins and outs of driving with Lyft.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Depending on the terms of your policy, your own personal automobile insurance policy might not provide any coverage while giving Lyft rides.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not wait in taxi lines.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
We have a strict zero tolerance policy for drivers — more info here. If you have any inquiries regarding the zero tolerance policy, reach out to us.
We have a strict anti-discrimination policy. Drivers are encouraged to read more here.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents (license, registration, insurance). Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Ohio, send us a message with the following info:
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your vehicle registration*
*If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, you do not need to send it in again.
Moving from Ohio to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.