Make sure to follow these rules when giving rides in Seattle, King County, or Tacoma, and to keep an eye on your email for important news and updates from Lyft.
If you're a driver anywhere else in Washington, visit this page instead.
- Apply to drive
- Setting up your vehicle
- Insurance information
- Tips and best practices
- Document renewals
- Moving to or from Seattle, King County, or Tacoma as an existing Lyft driver
Apply to Drive
If you're applying to become a driver in Seattle, King County, or Tacoma, check out the application steps.
Set Your Vehicle up Correctly
Display the following:
- Lyft emblem
- Seattle TNC vehicle decal
Drivers are required by the City of Seattle to display the Lyft emblem (pictured above) while in driver mode.
You'll receive your Lyft emblem at an inspection event or in the mail. The Lyft emblem should be displayed in the lower corner of your windshield on the passenger side every time you enter driver mode. Make sure to remove the emblem when you are not in driver mode.
If you haven't received yours yet, or have a damaged one, let us know and we'll get a new one out to you. In the meantime, print a temporary emblem (please print in color — not black and white).
When you receive your For-Hire Permit from the City of Seattle, you'll also be given a green TNC decal. This should be placed in your windshield and kept there at all times while in driver mode. Scroll down for more information about the For-Hire Permit
When your vehicle inspection expires, visit one of the locations in the map below to obtain an inspection and upload it in the Dashboard.
Keep these in your vehicle:
- Driver's license
Keep these at home:
- City of Seattle business license
- Defensive driving certificate
Defensive Driver Course
All drivers in Seattle and Tacoma are required to take the NSC Defensive Driving course. If you have previously completed the NSC defensive driver course, no need to take it again, simply upload your completion certificate to your Dashboard.
If you have not previously completed the course, follow the instructions below:
- Visit http://www.safetyserve.com/LYFT.
- Select "New Student," and then "New Student Registration."
- Type in LYFTDDC as your access code and submit.
- Choose a login ID and password on the registration page, and submit. NOTE: Make sure to use the phone number and email address linked with your Lyft account so we are able to verify your completion of the course.
- Select “Safety,” and then “NSC Defensive Driving 9” on the “My Courses” page.
- Complete the course, and upload your confirmation to you Dashboard.
Seattle Training Quiz
All drivers are required to complete the online City of Seattle quiz. We’ll email you the link just after you're approved.
All drivers in Seattle, King County, and Tacoma must obtain two unique business licenses: one for the City of Seattle and one for Washington State. You can apply online or through the mail.
Everett Business License
If you pick up passengers using the Lyft app in Everett, WA, you are required to get a local business license. You can apply online or through the mail. Find out more on the City of Everett's Website.
All TNC drivers are required to carry a For-Hire Permit and display a TNC Vehicle Decal in Seattle and King County.
Lyft will submit an application on your behalf for your For-Hire Permit and TNC Vehicle Decal. Once approved, Lyft will send you an email and text message letting you know your permit and decal have been issued and are ready to be picked up from the King County Records and Licensing Services Office.
500 Fourth Ave, Suite 401
Seattle, WA 98104
M-F 8:30 am — 4:30 pm
Please note that For-Hire Permit applications can take up to 3 months to process. You are able to operate as a Lyft driver while your application is processing.
- Review Lyft's insurance policy here.
- View your insurance in the app: Settings > Car > Lyft insurance.
- Set your vehicle up correctly every time you drive.
- Follow all airport rules.
- Do not accept street hails.
- Do not accept cash for rides.
- Do not wait in taxi lines.
- If you run into any issues on the road, let us know.
Drivers on the Lyft platform are required to maintain current documents (license, registration, insurance). Always update your documents via the Dashboard when they expire.
We will renew your for-hire permit on your behalf with King County. Make sure all of the following are up-to-date in your Dashboard so we can process your application quickly:
- Driver’s license
- Vehicle insurance
- Vehicle inspection
- Vehicle registration
Once your renewal for-hire permit has been issued, we will let you know when and where to pick it up. Please note that for-hire permit applications can take 30-60 days to process and that you may continue driving until you hear from us regarding your application status.
If you're already a driver in a different state, and you're moving to Seattle, King County, or Tacoma, send us a message with the following info. If you're moving to a different city in Washington, follow the steps here instead.
- The date you're moving
- Your new shipping address
- A clear photo of your Washington vehicle registration*
- Tacoma business license (Tacoma only)
*If you were already required to upload your vehicle registration when you became a driver, and it was issued in Washington, you do not need to send it in again.
Moving from Seattle, King County, or Tacoma to a different state? Find your new market here to see what steps you'll need to take.