Lyft ride types overview
Lyft has a variety of ride types to fit your travel needs.
Some ride types are only available in select cities. You’ll see all available types in the app when selecting a ride. For fare estimates and a list of available ride types, see our Cities page for riders.
All ride types
- Lyft: Standard Lyft car for up to 4 riders.
- Lyft Shared: Share a car with riders headed in the same direction at a discounted price. You can get a bigger discount when you request in advance.
- Wait & Save: Wait & Save and Priority Pickups may not always be available, depending on how many drivers are nearby. Wait & Save and Preferred rides are currently only available in some areas.
- Priority Pickup: Get a faster pickup at a slightly higher price.
- Preferred: Standard Lyft ride for up to 4 riders. Take a ride with a top-rated driver in a spacious car. With Preferred, you can let your driver know if you'd like a quiet ride, have bags or luggage, or your desired vehicle temperature preference. Preferred is currently a pilot and is not available in all markets.
Wait & Save and Priority Pickups may not always be available, depending on how many drivers are nearby. Wait & Save, Priority Pickups, and Preferred rides are currently only available in some areas.
- Lux: Luxury car for up to 4 riders
- Lux Black: Premium black car service with leather seats for up to 4 riders
- Lyft XL: SUV for up to 6 riders
- Lux Black XL: Premium black SUV with leather seats for up to 6 riders
- Scooter: Compact scooter for a single rider
- Bikes: Reserve and rent single rider bikes
- Car Seat: Vehicle fitted with a child’s car seat (only available in New York City)
- Access: Wheelchair-accessible vehicle for fixed frame wheelchairs and up to 2 additional passengers
- Lyft Assisted: If you need assistance during pickups and drop-offs, your healthcare provider, plan, or transportation service can request a Lyft Assisted ride for you.
Rider preferences for airport rides
You can select ride preferences to personalize your ride to or from the airport. This is available for all ride types except Lyft Shared.
The preferences you can select include:
- Vehicle temperature
- Quiet ride
- Help with luggage
To select your preferences, tap ‘Personalize your ride’ while you wait for your driver to arrive.
Note: Some drivers may not be able to accommodate your selected preferences.
Promotional ride types
In select cities, you may see promotional ride types become available in partnership with local events or organizations.
The details and duration of these promotional types change based on the promotion and don't affect the ride types normally available in your area.
Can I request a specific car?
While you’re unable to request a specific driver, car, or type of car, there are different ride types available to meet your travel needs.